Im Back...

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Jas

Im Back...

Post by Jas »

Hey guys,

Very long time no see!

After going through the attic I found the remains of my antweights, and thought I'd get back into it :D

Craig has filled me in with a couple of the changes and good too see new and interesting creations coming to light.

If I can get my arse in gear I should be up for a Model World coming out of retirement event :P

Hope everyones well.

Speak soon.

Jas
Team Warrior
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Jas

Nice you found your way back! :)

Modelworld is much more of an exhibition than an antweight event. The next traditional get-together should be Reading Robot Club early in the new year.

BTW do you still have RefAnt?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Jas

Post by Jas »

Hi mate,

I found the remains last night on my hunt for my servos :S

The board you made etc is still in one piece.

I hear that geared motors and controlers are the new way of doing things. What do you recomend?

Jas
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I recommend searching around the forum a bit, as always :P

The Pololu (or similar) motors are very popular. The Sabertooth speed controller seems to be current favourite. You definitely need some LiPo batteries these days. Also the motors cause more interference than the old servos (more power) so many people are going to 2.4GHz especially with the Planet T5 set available for ?40.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

Hi everyone!

some of you may recognise me (others less so) - i competed in AWS 17 and 19 (with the annoying Perpendicular Drive System, and the longest unabbreviated ant name in history (at the time)

Anyhows, I've moved onto uni, now possess a car, and some finances, have some genuine engineering experience, and i'm looking around at getting back into the sport! I see quite a bit has changed in the past 4 years...

Some CAD designs of some new ideas coming up soon - if anyone wants to add me on MSN, feel free!

Adam
Team 'In Theory'
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey Adam

I remember you from my first event (AWS 19), nice to see you back :)

Yeah a lot has changed in 4 years, gear motors are commonplace, spektrum is coming in very cheap now, and we're able to get a receiver and speedo inside 10g or so :)
Adam Hargreaves

Ahh, AWS19... or to me, the one where Ratio didn't work, and Antiflip fell of a table thus destroying the drive system!

yeah, was reading around about the new tech... liking the look of those planet 5 ktx/rx kits... looks like i need some new gear! I was doodling in my exam earlier... the PDS will return!
Team 'In Theory'
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

hey adam!

wooo! the old boys are coming back!
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Adam Hargreaves

lol, i was going to say "i'm not old", but have just remembered i've been buildling robots and designing ants since around AWS2 (since the issue of robotwars magazine which publicised them... Issue 3 i think it was... green cover iirc, so probably had sgt bash on it) Why do i remember these things... :oops:
Team 'In Theory'
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I wouldn't have said that's particularly sad, I had that issue but just didn't get into them at the time :P

Welcome back though, you wouldn't know me as I'm after your time...way after your time really, only been building them since AWS29, heh, but hope to see you at an event soon ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"