CO2?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Starless Aeons

CO2?

Post by Starless Aeons »

I've managed to track down a 100psi regulator suitable for disposable CO2 cartridges weighing in at on the order of 30g...it's a hell of a lot of weight when you start adding the actual cartridge, but even so!

Would regulated CO2 be a possible rule change? (At least in non-spinner combat, I'm not too informed on just how powerful spinners are nowadays down in this weight class, but I'd imagine brushless outrunner motors and a well engineered disc could do a LOT of damage - although disposable co2 canisters are very strong, the possibility of them being damaged remains which is I imagine why the pressure limitation exists?)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The only rule that I know of involving pneumatics is:
g) Any system involving the use of pressurised gas or liquid is limited to 100 p.s.i. (7 Bar).
This covers CO2 up to the 100 psi but if you are asking to increase the pressure I think you will run into quite a few objections on saftey grounds.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

It's also unclear from that rule whether it means the pressure of the gas that is used in the end effector (i.e the ram of a flipper), or anywhere in the whole system. If it was the latter (which is what I understand it to be), it wouldn't be allowed, since the small CO2 cartridges are pressurised at a miuch higher pressure (it might be 2000psi, but I'm not sure on that).

I think it would be interesting if someone who was very experienced with pneumatics were to give it a try, rule-legal or not, just to see what they could accomplish.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Starless Aeons

Post by Starless Aeons »

EpicentrE wrote:It's also unclear from that rule whether it means the pressure of the gas that is used in the end effector (i.e the ram of a flipper), or anywhere in the whole system. If it was the latter (which is what I understand it to be), it wouldn't be allowed, since the small CO2 cartridges are pressurised at a miuch higher pressure (it might be 2000psi, but I'm not sure on that).

I think it would be interesting if someone who was very experienced with pneumatics were to give it a try, rule-legal or not, just to see what they could accomplish.
It might be worth a try sometime, but the weight of the regulator + heavy steel CO2 cartridge is seeming a tad excessive to me... might be defeated by weight too!

Yes, what I was talking about was running high pressure in the cartridge regulated down so 100psi was present in the ram and solenoid...just looking for more flips out of it really. My prototype I'm working on at the moment is running a rather large ram ;)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I don't know jack about pnuematics, but is there no way you can have the cartridge separate from the ant? Fill up the ant before battle, then disconnect the cartridge before it goes into the arena? I suppose this would still involve some kind of tank but if you're only gunna be running at 100psi anyway, does this matter much?
We've seen with pnuematic ants before that "more flips" aren't really an issue, as they rarely need more than 3 or 4 in a battle before its over.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Unless I'm mistaken (which I may very well be), the only advantage of using CO2 over air is that you can compress it a lot more, and therefore get more power or more flips, depending on how much of that pressure you actually want to use at the ram. Having Xmm? of CO2 at 100psi stored on board would be precisely the same as having the same amount of air at 100psi.

If I'm wrong, please correct me ^^.
Starless Aeons

Post by Starless Aeons »

EpicentrE wrote:Unless I'm mistaken (which I may very well be), the only advantage of using CO2 over air is that you can compress it a lot more, and therefore get more power or more flips, depending on how much of that pressure you actually want to use at the ram. Having Xmm? of CO2 at 100psi stored on board would be precisely the same as having the same amount of air at 100psi.

If I'm wrong, please correct me ^^.
Pretty much. The advantage is that it's easily liquefied under pressure and thus can be stored in quantity.

Dave - I don't think there's any point in using an external cartridge to "charge" the internal tank, I might as well just pump it up with air anyway - it's more using an internal HP CO2 tank (disposable cartridge) with regulator to supply additional volume. I'll go ahead with air - after all I'm hoping I won't need more than one shot ;)

I'm tempted to have a go at a full pressure system within this weight - which would obviously be illegal - just to see if it can be done! That may come later...
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

it can be done, I did it back in 2001 as part of my school electronics project, I build a 90g Full pressure CO2 system, only got 5 flips out of it was lifting my then feather 11KG with ease.

CO2 in bulbettes is just like in Fire extinguishers, its liquid, CO2 becomes a liquid when pressurized in excess of 750PSI

at this time it would be pointless trying to use full pressure CO2 as you would not be able to make a Chassis strong enough to take the force of the ram, you'd simply destroy yourself

its hard enough to make a good pneumatic system now let alone a full pressure one
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

bit of a thread bump ,but i didnt want to start a new thread . I had the idea of modifying a bb gun for an antweight , as inside them there is the tank , regulator , dump valve , quick release valve and refiling valve . All of which could probably be cut down to under 100 G , maybe for a walker ?

as the regulator takes the pressure down to 150 PSI , a very beefed up Lego ram (with second regulator), or small custom made ram could be used .
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The rules state that the pressure cannot exceed 100psi at any point, which includes when it's being stored in the reservoir. I'd still love to see someone try this (as long as you know what you're doing and do it safely), but don't expect it to be able to compete :P