SG90s as drive servos?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Strobe111

SG90s as drive servos?

Post by Strobe111 »

Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to ask if SG90 servos are OK to use as drive servos and weapon servos. Also, are they quick enough not to speed hack? Thanks for your help! :D
A cheapy robot is a happy robot!
haz

Re: SG90s as drive servos?

Post by haz »

you can use them as a very sub standard drive solution, not really powerful enough for a lifter or axe either.
no, they are pretty standard servo speed.

welcome to the forum :)
Strobe111

Post by Strobe111 »

Thank you very much! Could I use it them for a pincher maybe?
ajw

Post by ajw »

Welcome! I've used speedhacked SG90s in the past and they work reasonably well as a low cost solution, but I think they would be too slow with the standard gearing with anything but massive wheels. They're certainly useable as a lifter, though I recommend for a few grams more upgrading to the more powerful and robust MG90 with metal gears.

MG90 would certainly be more suitable for a pincer weapon with the metal gears. Be careful with pincer weapons as mounting the pincer directly to the servo will likely stall the servo and result in a high current draw resulting in quick draining of your batteries as well as risking damaging the servo.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As AJW says it is best to avoid direct mounting of the arms on to a servo.
When ever you get a grip you are likely to be stalling the servo which often results in the servo failing.
I used a piano wire link between the servo and the arms bent in such away that it had enough flex to allow the servo to reach its end of travel even when the arms were gripping something.
The servo in the picture is a Turnigy TGY-90S which I seem to remember was very similar to the 90MG.
Strobe111

Post by Strobe111 »

Thanks very much to you all and love the pincher robot above!