That's what I thought. OK, cheers.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Invade

Re: Invadants

Post by Team Invade »

AWS 39 - ROBOT LIST

Gust
Complete - New acetate and stripes since Snibston, but more or less exactly the same. The only problem seems to be that it has too much power for it's own good, resulting in considerable "wheel spin", so I might clean the wheels a few times and see how it goes then.

Spark
Incomplete - This is getting a bit old now, (was made January 2010 for live events), and has fulfilled it's purpose and was one of the better antweights competing at Roaming Robots and Robots Live events. However, as proved at Snibston (despite a successful gauntlet run) it really isn't a good design for full combat. For instance, it constantly runs to one side, get's stuck on it's back and it's wheels can't right it, and the flipper design really isn't powerful enough. Therefore I am planning to make a new version to improve these aspects, while still using the same parts and a similar structure (2mm HDPE with 5mm bulkheads).

Spark 5
Incomplete - We'll be ordering the chassis tonight. Originally I got some 50:1 HP motors to use in this, but on further consideration I decided that with 16mm wheels it would be too slow on these, and so I will order some 30:1 HP motors instead. The 50:1 motors will go into Flame instead, which is currently running on the cheap ebay motors, which I am not impressed with. This will either work really well, or not at all. I've tested the pneumatics and they seem to have quite a bit of power, so fingers crossed it should work well.

Flame
Incomplete - Since this is the fourth ant, it will be competing as a cluster in order to enter. I still need to make the cluster botlet for this. I plan to use two sg50 servos, one turnigy nano-tech 1 cell lipo and a 40meg set that will come out of flame when replaced with the orange receiver. This comes to 30g, but I plan to make it a walker (though very ineffective) which I believe will allow me to go up to 160g total. Therefore I still need to lose 7g off Flame. I'm hoping replacing the receiver will achieve most of this, but I may need to do some more weight saving elsewhere as well.

Fleaweight 1
Incompete - This will be a miniature version of Gust, since I was very pleased with the design. The name at the moment will be Gustlet, but I'm not fully convinced so this may change. This will be running off two cheap ebay motors (out of Flame). One orange receiver, two servo boards, and two zippy 1 cell 100mah lipos. The tyres are from a scalextric 'copy' set I had when I was younger, and are still only 16mm tall but are also only 5.5mm wide. The weight of all this plus the chassis is approximately 37.45g (half), so it sounds feasible. I'm going to armour it in 1mm HDPE initially and upgrade the sides if I have weight left. I also want a titanium front if weight permits.

Fleaweight 2
Incomplete - I'm not sure that I'm going to have time to build this so I'm holding off ordering parts for now, also because of the fact that giantcod don't have any sg90 servos in stock. If it does go ahead, it will be a fleaweight version of Explosion, and will run off two sg90 servos for drive and one sg90 servo for the weapon. It will also use two single cell lipos and one orange receiver, and a mixer as it will need to run off the DX5e. No 3D printed chassis for this one, as I'm sure it would be tight on weight, but I will be printing two hubs for some 21mm diameter lego tyres for it along with tonight's order, just in case it goes ahead.

So, a busy few months :lol:
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
haz

Post by haz »

bloody hell :P
looking very, very nice. looking forwad to the fleaweight gust.
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Today's Shapeways Order

Most of the parts are now ordered. After seeing the postage costs I decided to get the parts for a second flea, as it would not be worth holding off and ending up paying the postage again. After seeing the lipos I wanted for the fleaweight gust are on backorder, I found these (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=23309) which I am really impressed with, especially since they are only 2g each!

Order Breakdown
- Shapeways order above
- 7 lipos
- 3 receivers
- 20 JST connectors
- 1 lego technic ram

However, since giantcod are being a pain not having any sg90 servos in stock, I've still yet to order three servos, a mixer and a pneumatic 'tee piece' from there.

Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Made some progress on the rebuild of Spark. The bulkheads are 5mm HDPE and the base is 2mm. The cutout will hold the HPXF servo. I've still got to make some small cutouts for the motors.

Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Servo and flipper arm fitted

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It all looks very impressive! I look forward to seeing it all come together, and I'm chuffed you're coming to the AWS.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Blimey! That chassis looks just like the current incarnation of R.O.N.N.Y. :o
- Apart from the 500 holes of course... :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

BeligerAnt wrote:Blimey! That chassis looks just like the current incarnation of R.O.N.N.Y. :o
- Apart from the 500 holes of course... :)
Just had a quick look at it on your website and I can see the resemblance, though the last version was a lot more similar! This version is going to be made a lot more accurate in relations to the feather, (longer, wider but lower) though with the angled back of the heavy. I've tried to iron out a lot of the last version's design flaws with this one (which will be number six), which essentially meant making it a more accurate replica of the feather, of which the design seems to be near perfect. The one thing I am keeping the same this time will be the construction methods (5mm bulkheads, 2mm welded armour) which I'm not surprised to see that other ants (including RONNY and a lot of Will's ants) are using as well!

I'm just about to mount the motors and we should be welding most of the armour as well tonight. After that it should be relatively simple as the insides are going to be a transplant from the last one.

Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Motors, wheels, and lower back panel mounted.