AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: administrator, BeligerAnt, petec

cmalton

AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Post by cmalton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 pm

I have now updated this with confirmed details.

Date: 30th June 2018
Time: 09:00 - 16:00
Venue: Dunchurch Village Hall, CV22 6PN
Organiser: ARC Robotics - Chris Malton
Sign-ups open: http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/10
Sign-ups close: Wednesday 27th June 2018
Arena: ARC Antweight Arena (Pete W has been asked as a backup option).

I would greatly appreciate all teams making a donation towards the running costs of this event. A suggested donation is £5.

If you are possibly coming (but aren't 100% sure), I'd far prefer you signed up then dropped out than turned up unannounced. For insurance and fire safety reasons, I need to be able to work out roughly how many people I am going to have on venue at any point in time.

Venue map:

General directions

From the North West (Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool)
  • Take the M6 Eastbound towards the A14
  • Exit at Junction 2 onto the A46, signposted Coventry (E)
  • Take the exit for Coventry Airport, Baginton, Ryton, Business Parks, Retail Park
  • Take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A45 (East), signposted Ryton, M45, M1 South, Rugby
  • At the first roundabout take the second exit to stay on A45
  • At the second roundabout take the second exit to stay on A45
  • At the third roundabout take the first exit, signposted Dunchurch, B4429, Non-motorway traffic
  • At Dunchurch Cross Roads ("The Dun Cow" pub on your left), turn Left onto A426.
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.3 miles up the road on your right hand side
From the North East (Leeds, Newcastle, York, Sheffield)
  • Take the M1 Southbound
  • Exit at Junction 20 onto the A4303, signposted Lutterworth, Rugby
  • Take third exit at the roundabout onto the A4303
  • Take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A426 Rugby Road, signposted Rugby
  • Continue on A426, passing through the center of Rugby
  • You will pass a large Sainsbury's on your left hand side
  • At the roundabout after the Sainsbury's take the second exit, signposted Southam, Banbury, Dunchurch
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.6 miles along the road on your left hand side
From the South (London, Portsmouth, Reading)
  • Take the M1 Northbound
  • Exit at Junction 17 onto the M45, signposted Lutterworth, Rugby
  • At the first roundabout, take second exit at the roundabout onto the B4429
  • At Dunchurch Cross Roads ("The Dun Cow" pub on your left), turn Left onto A426.
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.3 miles up the road on your right hand side
By public transport
  • The nearest railway station is Rugby (served by Virgin Trains West Coast and West Midlands Trains (formerly London Midland).
  • There is a bus stop just outside the venue served by the 63 and 64 buses (operated by Stagecoach Midlands).
  • The nearest airport is Birmingham International Airport. There are direct rail services from Birmingham International to Rugby.
Last edited by cmalton on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

cmalton

Re: AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Venue TBC

Post by cmalton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 pm

OK, here we go then - I'm closing sign-ups in the next 20 mins or so.

Key points:
- Please arrive promptly! We have a lot of battles to get through and I will make sure that somebody is on front desk from 9AM to take registrations. As soon as I can get a second person on the front desk I will, and if there's space and cubes to do it I'll get a third on it.
- We will, once again, be displaying details of Now/Next/Next+1/Next+2 battles on at least two screens across the room (aiming for 3). Please keep a close eye on them so you know when you're up next and be ready to do battle promptly.
- There will be no official lunch break. We expect there to be sufficient time between battles for teams to have lunch. My crew will take a break where they can for lunch. If we are sufficiently ahead, we may introduce a lunch break.
- Fleas and Nanos will be run at the end of the day if there is time.
- Standard antweight rules apply as per the published rules (I believe v4.2 is current).
- All robots must pass a tech-check - you will be asked to demonstrate correct operation of all failsafe devices to myself or one of the other members of my team.
- Sharp edge protection - I only care about this on edges you / someone else might accidentally cut yourself on. If it's a solid lump with a fairly blunt edge (most discs thicker than 1.5mm or so etc) not massively worried about it - please use common sense and if you're not sure, please err on the side of caution.
- All Lipo charging *really* needs to happen in Lipo bags. If you don't have one I will have few spare.
- Registration & tech check is mandatory on the day.
- There is plenty of parking, however, please follow any instructions from John (limpet) as he will be in the car park directing traffic for