Long time no see!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

engr

Long time no see!

Post by engr »

Hello, it has been a long time since I've been here. I am not sure if anyone will remember me or if i will be able to remember anyone!

The robots i built were Serpant (Pictured) and Mr duck (featherweight pictured) and a few others.

I was on robot wars with Serpant (which decided to only go round in circles). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47d1Hp4 ... page#t=65s

I was thinking about possibly starting again, however times seem to of changed! (gone away from modified servos etc).

but more importantly i am glad this community is still going!
Last edited by engr on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicentrE

Re: Long time no see!

Post by EpicentrE »

Welcome back! I don't know if I've ever met you at an event, however I'm sure that your website was one of the ones I poured over incessantly when I first discovered antweights, trying to find out as much information as I could. What were the names of your other ants?

I hope you decide to start again! Lots of things have changed, but there are still some robots that use older technology and do fine with it. I'd say that Serpant looks like it could still be somewhat competitive today, although I don't think it would hold up to the modern spinners :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

hi, yep things sure have changed, but those look awesome, i love the duck fleaweight :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I was always impressed with SerpAnt back in the day. You seemed to stop just as I started! I'd love to see it back in action. We're bigger than ever now, with getting on for 80 robots per AWS, and attendance records being broken at every subsequent event. Definitely still going strong, and we welcome the old school as much as the new school!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Welcome back to the sport :) unfortunately I started considerably after you finished but SerpAnt looks wonderfully made, is it all metal in one flavour or another?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome back Chris! It's certainly been a while. :)
RONNY is still going, although maybe unrecognisable now it's at version 5 (or is it 6...). PeteC has only recently retired Pants :o
Mr Duck now has a compatriot in Ouchie, my daughter's duck-based robot - it even won a fight once!
Hope to see you back some time soon.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Welcome back Chris, I don't think we ever met at an event but your site was one of the ones I read over many times when starting out. Serpant still looks effective, I like grab lift weapons, but struggle to control them.

Will you be coming along to the AWS in July?
TEAM GEEK!
engr

Post by engr »

Thank you all for a good welcome back.
BeligerAnt wrote:Welcome back Chris! It's certainly been a while. :)
RONNY is still going, although maybe unrecognisable now it's at version 5 (or is it 6...). PeteC has only recently retired Pants :o
Mr Duck now has a compatriot in Ouchie, my daughter's duck-based robot - it even won a fight once!
Hope to see you back some time soon.
I have to admit i don't actually know where the Mr Duck(s) are, I have a box with all my old Antweight gear in somewhere... But it is good to hear there is another duck about. I remember going south to an event you organised (I think).

Its going to take a while to sort everything out, I need to source:
radio equipment (2.4ghz to replace my ageing 40mhz gear)
batteries (lipos now seem to be the new favourite)

I am currently addicted to building walking robots, my current project is stompy http://vimeo.com/38160818.

I am now a mechanical/software design engineer by day, so am hoping to have better designed robots than I used to have; but that does mean finding the time of course!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

chrislane wrote:I remember going south to an event you organised (I think).
That was probably the first "Southern Antweight Challenge", around the time of AWS 10 or 11 - nearly 10 years ago! :o

Stompy looks very impressive so far. Hope you also find time for antweights too, although I'm sure being a professional mechanical engineer counts as cheating in antweight circles! :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'd love to see a really good walker in antweights, if you're addicted to building them.

Chris, we've never met, but I've heard your voice a lot on the DVDs of old AWSs. I remember one where Marco kept saying "you stupid duck". lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39