What is a team?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: What is a team?

Post by Kyro »

i suppose its down to whatever you got used to when you first built a robot...

i actually started with a pistol grip tx with a simple push button to activate 3rd channel...

needed to make the switch to a stick tx so i had more options and found driving on the left with weapons on the right to suit me best...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 pm i suppose its down to whatever you got used to when you first built a robot...

i actually started with a pistol grip tx with a simple push button to activate 3rd channel...

needed to make the switch to a stick tx so i had more options and found driving on the left with weapons on the right to suit me best...
Are you right handed or left handed? Just curious about stick preference and handedness.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

LimaHotel wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm A note with clusters: The Team that operates the Cluster must own all the transmitters that are used for driving the cluster. You can get a driver from another team to drive your other cluster part(s), but they'd need to use your transmitter.
Thank you. This information is very helpful. I'm going to have to kind of re-create what you all have over here in the states if I want this thing to expand the way I want it and some very simple things that aren't in the rules I've read online (or that I missed) I'm keeping notes on.

So if I'm reading this right, for example whoever owns wedge wedge wedge must own all the cluster bots and all the transmitters for them, correct? Those are all considered "team" property, so you can't just make one 75g and a friend have a 75g bot and call that a cluster bot on tournament day. Both of the two 75g bots and their transmitters must be owned by the same person and you can just get your friend to drive the second one at the tournament.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:41 pm which is evidently the reason my 3rd tx has been modified back to driving on the right, weapon on the left...

i am one of a few that drive on the left
If you aren't left handed, do you attribute this to using the pistol grip first before switching to sticks?

Do you do other things "goofy footed" that's what we used to call people who skated or snowboarded with their right foot first. I know guys that were goofy footed, but not left handed.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

minionhunter wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:32 pm So if I'm reading this right, for example whoever owns wedge wedge wedge must own all the cluster bots and all the transmitters for them, correct?
Yup! Shakey owns many Transmitters
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

minionhunter wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:32 pm
So if I'm reading this right, for example whoever owns wedge wedge wedge must own all the cluster bots and all the transmitters for them, correct? Those are all considered "team" property, so you can't just make one 75g and a friend have a 75g bot and call that a cluster bot on tournament day. Both of the two 75g bots and their transmitters must be owned by the same person and you can just get your friend to drive the second one at the tournament.
That's pretty much correct, you can't share transmitters across two teams, for the following reason...

Let's say this cluster made up of both your 75g robots was entered as part of your team. That cluster could then be drawn against another robot from your friends team. As your friend would be using his transmitter for his robot, his part of the cluster wouldn't have a transmitter. If his 75g bot had it's own transmitter that wasn't used to control any of his other robots it would be OK, as you could simply get someone else to drive his half of the cluster.

It's one of the main reasons for having teams, robots from the same team are kept apart in the group stages of the tournament, thus minimising the chances of two robots from the same team being drawn against each other.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i am right handed...

but i shoot slingshots left handed (previous hobby)
and i fire an arrow right handed.
i can eat ambidextrously (is that even a word?) as well as shoot comfortably with either hand... there may be more as i have never really though too much about it...

i dont think it's anything to do with the pistol grip... i think its more down to my playing rocket league on ps4.

the left stick is steering as well as the pitch, yaw and rolling when flying...

i imagine it could have been the other way had call of duty continued to be good as aiming is with the right stick and the left is just used to move direction...

this is speculation though, i could just be more comfortable driving on the left stick.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

GeorgeR wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:06 pm
minionhunter wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:32 pm
That's pretty much correct, you can't share transmitters across two teams, for the following reason...

Let's say this cluster made up of both your 75g robots was entered as part of your team. That cluster could then be drawn against another robot from your friends team. As your friend would be using his transmitter for his robot, his part of the cluster wouldn't have a transmitter. If his 75g bot had it's own transmitter that wasn't used to control any of his other robots it would be OK, as you could simply get someone else to drive his half of the cluster.

It's one of the main reasons for having teams, robots from the same team are kept apart in the group stages of the tournament, thus minimising the chances of two robots from the same team being drawn against each other.
Thank you! That's really clear now.

Your bots are really awesome. The one with the two spinners looks like a Vertabird from Fallout 1 or Fallout 2! I love it! Does it move based on the vibration of the motors spinning if you throttle one up more than the other?

I saw a 3lb bot here in the states when I was first introduced to robot combat that moved on two wire metal brushes that were on the bottom. They had a way of making them vibrate so that it moved around on them but I never understood exactly how that worked. I never saw it move in reverse but it moved forward and could turn well enough. I was guessing your bot worked in a similar manner.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

RBMK (the double spinner) uses gyro to move... this is done by accelerating and decelerating each motor in turn which makes it walk.

im sure George can explain it much better than me, but if you watch the aws58 video on team panoramics youtube channel you will see it perform well (it ate one of my robots... poor Dominus)

very unique and very well engineered robot.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm i am right handed...

but i shoot slingshots left handed (previous hobby)
and i fire an arrow right handed.
i can eat ambidextrously (is that even a word?) as well as shoot comfortably with either hand... there may be more as i have never really though too much about it...

i dont think it's anything to do with the pistol grip... i think its more down to my playing rocket league on ps4.

the left stick is steering as well as the pitch, yaw and rolling when flying...

i imagine it could have been the other way had call of duty continued to be good as aiming is with the right stick and the left is just used to move direction...

this is speculation though, i could just be more comfortable driving on the left stick.
Cool. It is very advantageous to be ambidextrous even if it is "just eating" or switch hitting in baseball.