What is a team?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

jes

What is a team?

Post by jes »

Maybe a stupid question, but I've seen some mention of "teams" and it seems like these are multiple robots entered by the same person in the same event.

I don't quite understand how grouping the robots as a "team" differs from simply entering each robot individually? Do the robots win as a "team" rather than individually? If so that would seem as though it gives a larger team 4x the chances of winning compared to a lone robot, so I don't quite understand.
peterwaller

Re: What is a team?

Post by peterwaller »

Each team is limited to 3 rolling robots and 1 either walker/ shuffler or cluster.
Some families have multiple teams so teams must be self contained and not share parts like batteries or transmitters.
Also by being in a team Antlog ensures team members are in different groups for the initial stages at least so you don't get drawn against yourself unless you progress past the group stages.
tomboys

Post by tomboys »

Also (apart from clusters) each team has to have a separate driver
Tom Boys (Team Tomb)
Up the Antie - Flipper
Push Comes to Shove - Shovebot
Vertigo - Vertical spinner
Bar Bar Black Sheep - Bristlebot (planned)
jes

Post by jes »

But what's the point?

Why isn't it just that you enter each robot individually and it's OK to share drivers between robots?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

because thats the rules...

the main point of creating a team is so that its much harder to end up drawn against your own robot.

having a team keeps your (up to) 4 entries seperate.

whether you have 4 robots, or just 1, the same rules apply... double elimination... so every robot needs to lose twice to be out of the competition...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
tomboys

Post by tomboys »

If you want 2 different drivers, you can just enter as 2 different teams. You can also have the same robot in multiple teams, but not in the same competition. It's mainly to reduce numbers so that there is essentially a limit of 4 robots per person.
Tom Boys (Team Tomb)
Up the Antie - Flipper
Push Comes to Shove - Shovebot
Vertigo - Vertical spinner
Bar Bar Black Sheep - Bristlebot (planned)
jes

Post by jes »

OK, thanks all!
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

A note with clusters: The Team that operates the Cluster must own all the transmitters that are used for driving the cluster. You can get a driver from another team to drive your other cluster part(s), but they'd need to use your transmitter.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

which is evidently the reason my 3rd tx has been modified back to driving on the right, weapon on the left...

i am one of a few that drive on the left
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Kyro:

Nobody told me which side is supposed to drive, so I put the throttle on the left and steering on the right (+ weapon on the right too), on all my robots / controllers. I realise this is an unconventional setup.

The configuration was just copied from the "mode 2" quads which have the throttle on the left, so I thought throttle should go forward/back (of course on a quadcopter it goes up/down)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands