Good speed for antweights?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Oasis

Good speed for antweights?

Post by Oasis »

I am building an antweight gripper and have just ordered a 300rpm motor with 25mm wheels. I calculate around 38cm/s speed, which I feel is somewhat slow. I can upgrade my wheels to 30mm which would give me 47cm/s speed. I just want to know, what is fast in antweight terms? I am aiming to have an extremely mobile robot if possible
Last edited by Oasis on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea what I'm doing
tomboys

Re: Good speed for antweights?

Post by tomboys »

Most antweights use approx 500rpm motors (or faster), so it would probably be a little bit slow (but not massively).
50:1 or 30:1 ration N20s are the usual motors people use.
Tom Boys (Team Tomb)
Up the Antie - Flipper
Push Comes to Shove - Shovebot
Vertigo - Vertical spinner
Bar Bar Black Sheep - Bristlebot (planned)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i use 600rpm in my bots... i find its a good mix of speed and torque...

i would say you could go up to 700rpm and still get decent torque if you wanted faster but i have never felt like my bots ever needed to be faster...

obviously we all have different preferences when it comes to this hobby so what works for me might not work for you...

i would say to start at 600rpm then go higher or lower depending on what suits you
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

One thing you need to watch out for is the voltage that the speed is quoted at.
300 at 6V is a little on the slow side but if they are 300 at 12V that is only 150 at 6V and very slow.
Oasis

Post by Oasis »

Its 300rpm at 6v -i think i will upgrade motor when i have the funds to do so, but 38cm/s estimated speed seems more than fast enough for my first build.
Last edited by Oasis on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

Solderburn v2 has 600rpms, and normally you would never use 12vs in an ant - iirc the voltage of the batteries almost everyone uses are 7.4V!
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

2s lipos (which most people use) are 7.4v & the standard 30:1 N20 motors are 600rpm, so from what you're saying I'd imagine your bot would be slightly slower than average (but not by too much). If you're interested the Bristol Bot Builders are selling N20's for £8 a pair at the moment. https://shop.bristolbotbuilders.com/product/n20/

However it's also worth remembering that driving skill matters way more than speed. Since you're building a gripper good handling & control is going to be essential to success. It might be wise to stick with what you have at the moment & upgrade once you have it dialled in.
Oasis

Post by Oasis »

Thanks for the advice! Will also be looking into the motors!
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Personally I find a faster motor just means I can drive into the pit quicker...

Bear in mind are that not all N20s are created equal. I bought some cheap 1:30 6v motors from random sellers on AliExpress and tested them using an optical tachometer. They should all have been 500rpm but actual speeds varied considerably. Some were as low as 100rpm, the bulk of them were around 200rpm, a few were close to the expected speed, and one oddball was nearer 2,000rpm! Moral of the story is that it's worth paying a little extra and buying from reputable suppliers. Pololu's are the creme de la creme - but at a price.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Oasis

Post by Oasis »

Thanks for the reply! I am looking into BBB n20s and i plan to use my current 300rpm motors as spares in case anything goes wrong :D