Team Coolspeedbot's robot builds

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

coolspeedbot

Re: Team Coolspeedbot's robot builds

Post by coolspeedbot »

So I finally got round to CADing Bunny-Ears 2.0.

Loaded test STL files to Cura to get a rough weight estimate looking at roughly 58g for all the parts.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Killer-Wolf (2.0), Bunny-Ears (1.5), Blue-Terror (CAD).
Featherweights:
CSB 1 (retired) CSB 2 (under construction).
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

Already making plans for a Killer-Wolf 2.5. A simple improvement on the design making it more compact to make it lighter so I can remove the weight saving holes and improve the shape. about 5mm shorter in height and shorter in length. That has resulted in a weight saving of around 5 grams when it was loaded into Cura.

The other planned change is to upgrade from my stand alone NanoTwo ESC (no built in RX) and the Lemon RX to the new V3 NanoTwo now that it’s DSMX compatible now along with the benefits of making the wiring more streamlined, being smaller and lighter then my current setup.

I know obviously KW 2.0 hasn’t even competed yet but it’s always good to plan ahead. How soon KW 2.0 competes really comes down to if any AWS this year is within my limited travel distance.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

Wow been a while since any updates on the ants thats mostly cause of work and being focused on my Featherweight Coolspeedbot which I took to Extreme Robots Maidstone. But anyway heres whats happing with the Ants.

Killer-Wolf 2.0/2.5:
After getting Fusion 360 I redid the CAD for Killer-Wolf's 2.5 chassis although it could end up being the 2.0 chassis if I decide to change it before the next event (Hopefully there is some I can attend next year).

Bunny-Ears 2.0:
Bunny-Ears 1.5 is still running fine so progress on 2.0 is slow.

New bot, DB Mini:
Oh look another vertical spinner. I decided to give a spinner a bash mainly cause I feel braver with my robot ideas now. The design is very loosely based on one of my creations in Garry's Mod.

James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

Dusted off Killer-Wolf 2.0 to work on fixing the wiring by replacing the power switch. It was the power switch from KW 1.5 and wear has gotten to it as the connection breaks when the wires are touched. Easier to simply use a new switch with better wires.

I peeled off the plastic strip on the flipper and will replace it with acetate later.

I replaced the badly made 1.5mm thick side panels with new ones, I only had 1mm sheets so I used that.

And with a quick test drive, Killer-Wolf 2.0 is back to being ready to fight.

James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

Well, it really has been a long time, once again busy with work and Featherweights again but I still want to be active with ants and I've been slowly working on a 3rd ant. Yes, that's right a 3rd ant. This is an idea I've loosely had before and older concepts have been posted on here too.

So the new Ant uses 6WD and is loosely based on my new FW CSB 2, and interestingly this will be my first weaponless Antweight.
Below is an early look at the CAD.

And first actual work is the impulse buy of a NanoTwo from Nuts and Bots, already paired with an RX after a swap around of my RXs in my robots. I just need the motors then finalise the CAD and get the parts printed. Hopefully, I can get time off work to go to the Antweight open.

James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

After a little bit of thinking, I decided for the fun, the challenge and the nostalgia I opted to do the build for the new ant from scratch with no 3D printed parts, no CAD. Just some polycarb sheets, ruler, scissors, a drill and a bit of trial and error. The new ant is called Blue Terror, named after one of my video game creations.

The plan is to go 4wd wedge bot.
2 motors arrived, awaiting 2 more.

Bit of toying around with the size of the bot using cardboard.

Started making the base and top plate.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

as someone who has never printed a bot, but uses scissors sticky tape and chewing gum, i approve... i also look forward to seeing the results
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It is always nice to see a variety of construction techniques.
as someone who has never printed a bot, but uses scissors sticky tape and chewing gum
Although Kyro makes light of his methods he does produce well engineered robots.
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

Kyro wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 am as someone who has never printed a bot, but uses scissors sticky tape and chewing gum, i approve... i also look forward to seeing the results
Thanks, Kyro. My first competing antweight Killer-Wolf 1 was built with scissors, nail clippers, a screwdriver to make holes and do up the bolts. Just go to show these little bots can be made with so very little tools and know-how.
peterwaller wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 am It is always nice to see a variety of construction techniques.
Yeah, it's always good to see different ways of building a bot. I opted to do it this way again after spending most of 2019 on my FW which due to the custom work needed for it I have had little hands-on work on it and didn't want to simply make it on a computer and have it printed.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Featherweights:
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

peterwaller wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 am Although Kyro makes light of his methods he does produce well engineered robots.
Thanks Peter, its good hearing this from someone with your experience.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)