AWS rule polls 2019

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: AWS rule polls 2019

Post by Shakey »

Yeah this first round is pretty much the more obvious rules changes, there's a few more that stray into the more 'heated' parts. But we don't want to overload the process and drown it in debate right away!
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i think size and weight clarification should be made known... ie over weight and over size allowance... so say theres a 2g weight allowance on top of the 150g to make up for the difference in scales and a say 5mm poking out of the box max rule... i feel the box at antfreeze was a little smaller than 4x4x4.

im thinking, someone with a 3d printer should print official sized boxes which should be used at events and made available for contestants to purchase so every box used is exactly the same which would void my 5mm poking out rule and ensure contestants wouldn't need to trim bots down at events (i had to cut around 6mm off of a 10cm scoop to fit in the cube at ant freeze, i had about 2mm wiggle room after so i could have cut only 4mm off)

if someone makes a file that can be printed by somebody so they wouldnt have to purchase a cube... and would make more 3d printer owners able to make and sell official cubes then that would help a few people out...

otherwise, i agree with the rule changes...

better to be safe than sorry...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

I'm really glad the rules are getting an update, it certainly feels rather overdue. Thanks to all the committee for your hard work in making it happen.

All of the changes proposed look good to me, and I hope they are adopted for the future.

With regards to Kyro's suggestion on allowances, I think that formally allowing people to break the 150g/4"cube rule would be opening a massive can of worms, and is best avoided.
For weights, as long as the application of the rule ensures that an exactly 150g bot is allowed (so if the event scales were accurate to 1g the limit would be 151g), I don't see a need for extra allowance.
For size, again I don't see a need for allowances, if the robot doesn't fit into a genuine 4" cube it needs to be smaller. That said, we need to ensure that the cubes used are not too small. It wouldn't be fair or right to exclude a robot that does adhere to the size rule due to an undersized event cube. (I would agree that the ant freeze cube this year was almost certainly smaller than 4")

For any other issue regarding size/weight limits I don't see an issue leaving it up to EO discretion.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

My robot only fitted into the Ant Freeze cube with the acetate slightly bent, I think the cube was a tad on the small side.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just filled it in just a couple of things I noticed.
Wording on arena doors must be closed should take into account arenas like mine that have hinged covers.
Disqualification for operating spinner outside arena should be for repeat after the warning.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Yeah the Ant freeze cube was a bit too small, I’ll see if we can make an “Official” set.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Several people including myself bought sets made by Josh which were quite accurate and I usually have mine with me.
Zanbots

Post by Zanbots »

How do these votes affect the rules?
Is it just for the committee to gauge responses or are we voting rules in?
Is there a set percentage to pass?
Jeremy Hall
Ants; 24601
Oh, Baby!
B-Bot
Valjean
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

judging by the first post, this is to change the rules...

im only speculating here, but i would imagine anything over 50% would constitute a rule change as the majority (even if only slight) voted for the rules to change. but dont hold me to that.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Zanbots

Post by Zanbots »

A roller is described as: A robot whose final drive output rotates through more than 180 degrees (e.g. wheels)

Can we extend that to differentiate it from brissle bots and gyro bots?

Say: A robot whose final drive output making contact with the ground rotates through more than 180 degrees.
Jeremy Hall
Ants; 24601
Oh, Baby!
B-Bot
Valjean