Arena surface material

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MySolderIsOlder

Arena surface material

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Morning all.

Quick question about arena construction... Currently working on our 'domestic Antweights arena' (which is basically just a 70x70cm flat box with a hinged fighting area on top and storage underneath for bots, controllers, charger, etc - all carefully dimensioned to fit under the sofa) but I'm now in a quandary over choice of materials for the arena surface.

Original plan was to use birch ply throughout, with a hard-wearing matt varnish finish on the top, to give wheels a bit of grip. However having done some initial tests I'm finding that isn't so good for 2-wheel bots where the front slides along the floor. Awful scratching noise and I fear the friction/drag will give too much of an advantage to 4WD designs. Now debating whether to cut up an old sheet of melamine-surfaced hardboard and glue that on the top instead?

So... can other arena-owners please advise what they use for the actual fighting surface? Super-smooth like melamine/formica or slightly textured?

Many thanks,
Stuart
Stuart (Tony's dad)
peterwaller

Re: Arena surface material

Post by peterwaller »

I use hardboard in mine using the smooth side and paint it with matt emulsion.
It isn't fixed in so can be removed for filling and repainting after each event where spinners are used.
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

My arena uses 12mm hardwood plywood flooring, similarly not fixed down and segmented into two sections for flat pack convenience. It is also primed and painted. Having used it at the BotFest pilot, it works fine as far as I can see.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Thanks for those thoughts. I'll try a smooth varnish first (well, it's a nice bit of birch ply and I don't have to worry about spinners) and if that doesn't work out, I've old salvaged sheet of melamine-covered hardboard I can stick on top.
Stuart (Tony's dad)