chassis dimensions for 3d print

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

PudseyBear

chassis dimensions for 3d print

Post by PudseyBear »

Morning

Just a quick one. I've taken the plunge and started designing an ant on Tinkercad which i hope to get printed at some stage. What sort of thickness do people use for the chassis floor and external walls? Is there a standard measurement that people use?

Thanks
EddieJ

Re: chassis dimensions for 3d print

Post by EddieJ »

What material will you use?

For example, PLA or Polycarbonate is going to make a big difference to strength and thus the thickness you will want to use.
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
PudseyBear

Post by PudseyBear »

Thanks Eddie. As a novice to 3d printing i'm just trying to learn the basics at the mo. I was hoping to do a prototype in PLA and then once the design is right get it printed in ABS (if that is the right thing to do?) I guess the the more infill the stronger and narrower the chassis could be?

My previous ants have been in polycarb bent and cut on a scroll saw but looking to make the next step up

Thanks again
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

PudseyBear wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 am Morning

Just a quick one. I've taken the plunge and started designing an ant on Tinkercad which i hope to get printed at some stage. What sort of thickness do people use for the chassis floor and external walls? Is there a standard measurement that people use?

Thanks
Someplaces, walls can be 1mm, other places (like extenally - weapen facing walls) 2mm and thicker.
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
PudseyBear

Post by PudseyBear »

Thanks. Looks like my bot is a little tubby in places. Specifically though, how thick do people print the chassis floor? is 2mm going to be enough or should it be more?

Cheers
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Not experienced with combat bots, but I do run a 3D printing company :D (DLP FDM SLA DOD SLS methods) so i can advise on that.

Go with 100% infill :) For a thin 1/2mm wall, you will not use many more pence of material, but will be much stronger. Also increase your feed rate slightly so it overextrudes and fuses layers together better.
103% feedrate should do it.

For ABS, for even better strength try acetone vapor smoothing.
Consider getting a old cookie jar, acetone and kitchen towel.
Few Kitchen towels in cookie jar bottom, soak in acetone.
Place part on a trestle (upturned cup will do, just dont let it touch the tissue)
Close lid, wait 30 mins for the vapours to smooth the surface :)
https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/acetone-vapor-smoothing

Also it is possible to anneal ABS in the oven for even better strength.
Check this out
https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/how-to-ann ... r-strength

Happy printing!

On the original question, go with UF's suggestion ;)
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

PudseyBear wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:12 pm Thanks. Looks like my bot is a little tubby in places. Specifically though, how thick do people print the chassis floor? is 2mm going to be enough or should it be more?

Cheers
Forthe bottom, I might go with 1 mm. Unless you're worried you might be vulnerable if flipped over, in which case, go with 2mm
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
PudseyBear

Post by PudseyBear »

Thanks guys. I had 8mm lol. Back to the drawing board. Looking at a printer for xmas so no doubt ill be back with more questions

Cheers