Eddie J - DisinfectANT, Kinnettic Disassembly, Cilit BANG

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Antweight First Build - EddieJ

Post by Shakey »

It's not so much low drive power will hurt a spinner but low drive speed does. The speed you hit a robot with is directly tied to the engagement of a weapon, you'd be halving the speed and on the 50:1's you planned (already on the slower side) you may find your weapon simply won't engage robots very well. This means the weapon may sit there grinding the teeth on a robot without actually biting or only giving light hits out. Too slow and other robots will be able to control the fight much more easily by using much higher speeds, the last thing you want is handing the decision of when and where you get hit to another much faster spinner! Going faster gives you better hits, and much greater ability to control the fight.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Ahh that makes sense, thanks Shakey!
So basically I need to take a run-up before kicking the opponent in the gonads with this spinner. :lol:

Better hold out for some 2S ESCs. Do you have an ETA on your ones, which do seem to be the gold standard! :)
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

No ETA at the moment, just lots of pestering Rory for more.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Ok thanks. Ill keep an eye out for them then and proxy in a dasmikro for now.

Sketching nearly finished, a little more work on the chassis. But i think ill order in the electronics now and test everything will work and comes to to the predicted weights, before designing the CAD around them.
Then it's into proper CAD to finish the final designs of parts before producing bits to make him up.

Going to have to use a lot more nylon than initially planned. Only metals will be front shield, drum bracing plates/forks and the outer part of the drum.

Im looking forward to 3d printing and milling things... but not the electronics :/ lol
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

New toys and components arriving now :D Some bits needed lathing from nylon, so picked up a mega cheap 12v micro mill. It's manual and not CNC, but for the simple connecting rods which i need, it will be fine. Even if the accuracy is going to be something like 0.2mm, judging from the loose axis..
Apparently it can lathe alu, but i will be pleasantly shocked if it manages that. £120 ebay special

Will have a test of that tomorrow :D
Bots:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

More CAD and starting to put things together. :D Hopefully one more week and there may be something that resembles a robot on my desk! :lol:
Lathe works well for nylon. A little grow at the end of this test piece, i should have locked the part in with both sides of the spindle. Then will be fine.

Before i start making connectors and chopping the wires up - can anyone check my wiring plan - does this look right? Im bad with electronics - trying to learn something here :P
The batteries will be in series to make a 2S.
Where they join and go off to the two ESCs, i half considered a PDB, top right. But it's big - so may try to make a splitter connector.
That's going to be a 2 motor drive DasMikro ESC also, hasn't arrived yet, i only had this 1S 1 motor one around. (Then will redesign it when i get my hands on a Nano2 dual esc.)

Bots:
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

So you have 2x single cell packs, so put them in series, right?

Your wiring diagram is unclear. It's not clear what that orange thingy is. You only need to break out the parallel power and feed it to the dasmikro and the brushless ESC.

The dasmikro will need to power the rx 5v, and possibly also the other ESC, if that doesn't have a built in regulator/BEC.

Personally I'd take a tiny piece stripboard to parallel the cells and drive power to the two ESC.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Hi Mark,

Yea that's it. 2x 1S batteries in series to make a 2S.

Apologies about my scribbles, i dont have photoshop on my home PC, paint is ... less than ideal! :lol:
I think from what you are saying I am on the right track. The orange lines are just me showing the point where I'd need to put in a PDB, or stripboard. Which would be lighter for sure, I will try that! Thanks :)
Bots:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

All the new toys are here now :D nice to be using something which isnt a 3D printer for a change!

I did a load of research on suitable mills for producing small accurate parts in lots of materials - the only sub 5k mills which would cut it (heh pun) were the Sieg K1 or the Sherline / Taig CNC Mill. Decided to save budget and went with the Taig. It's pretty compact but built well enough to mill plastics and aluminium, as well as steel and titanium parts- once i set up the liquid coolant system and tray.

Im going to ignore the confusing electronics for a while and get back into my CAM comfort zone :lol:
Hopefully some results pictures over the next week.

Also sticking with ant puns - going to name it Disinfect-ant. (unless that's been taken?)
Bots:
DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: Disinfect-ant - Antweight First Build Log

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

There hasn't been an ant called Disinfect-ant in the many years I've been around, though there was one called deoderAnt, which would've made for an interesting sounding battle...
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.