Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

Like most my team it needs some fine tuning really but I still have to finish my commissions first. But really, I'm just bored of it. Outright competitiveness isn't fun to me anymore, I'd much rather make unusual or outlandish robots and try and do well with them than enter a robot I know has a good chance of rolling its way to the final groups each time. I'm not really going into competitions with the aim of actually winning the final but to try and push different styles of bot as far as I can.

Stuff Like DHMIS, Sawry, Space-Y and Wedge Wedge Wedge I find much more fun. ICBINS has lost it's status as a defacto entry on my team as it's just taking the space I could use for a more fun robot.

I've got a long list of even weirder bots to build once commissions are done and to try and see how far they can go.
GeorgeR wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 pm But seriously, good luck in making an axe that does any damage. Axiom's mechanism can put holes in cans and bottle caps if I bolt it down, but when it's on the bot it just jumps all over the place.
Yeah that's something I'm currently having to mull over, this mechanism is packing a lot of energy and if not bolted down it's just off when it fires!
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Shakey wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:05 pm I'm just bored of it. Outright competitiveness isn't fun to me anymore, I'd much rather make unusual or outlandish robots and try and do well with them than enter a robot I know has a good chance of rolling its way to the final groups each time. I'm not really going into competitions with the aim of actually winning the final but to try and push different styles of bot as far as I can.

Stuff Like DHMIS, Sawry, Space-Y and Wedge Wedge Wedge I find much more fun. ICBINS has lost it's status as a defacto entry on my team as it's just taking the space I could use for a more fun robot.

I've got a long list of even weirder bots to build once commissions are done and to try and see how far they can go.
That's really great to hear Alex, your team has been absolutely formidable with your recent machines and especially your spinners add a lot of action to the event. Really looking forward to seeing some of your new designs once the commissions are finished.

I think I got lucky at AWS 54 against Test Robot; I'm slightly dreading its return with a new frame and self righting mechanism. :D
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

AntRoboteer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm I think I got lucky at AWS 54 against Test Robot; I'm slightly dreading its return with a new frame and self righting mechanism. :D
The self righting will still be using the disc, I'll just be taking what I learned from getting DHMIS to actually spinup and applying it to Test! Though the new frame would hopefully stop that being needed much anyway.

DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Did you ever enter the one with the continuous axe mechanism? I loved that thing.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

DieGracefullyRobotics wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm Did you ever enter the one with the continuous axe mechanism? I loved that thing.
It's still alive and sat on my shelf! Sadly it never actually got made into a proper ant, it was basically 2 concepts mashed together in such a wildy flaily hilarious way. It is on my list of ants to rebuild though so maybe!

DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

I watch the video of it whenever I need cheering up about robots :D
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Shakey wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:36 pm The self righting will still be using the disc, I'll just be taking what I learned from getting DHMIS to actually spinup and applying it to Test! Though the new frame would hopefully stop that being needed much anyway.
It's definitely the most reliable way. DHMIS is terrifying when it spins up. I'd love to fight it just for the specatacle (of course with a good 5mm of polycarbonate up front). :D
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Not a robot, but a new tool! LASER!

I like lasers and I like easily cutting out shapes for robots. So...

Bodged in air assist, running off a paintbrush compressor borrowed from my dad for now.

The first few cuts before the air assist was in. I can now neatly cut 1.5mm poly with minimal discolouration. I need to do the air assist properly to really get nice cuts but the bodge has given me an idea of what to aim for.

A standard K40 laser. Needs a fair bit of tweaking to get working fully, lots of parts on order to get it completed.

The upgrades I intend are:
Non bodge air assist with an all around nozzle.

New exhaust (Polycarb fumes are bad. That and just general smoke), Inline blower with 3" tubing straight out my house. Hopefully I can seal it enough to make enough negative pressure to eliminate all escaping fumes.

New bed to put material on, the current one is pretty bad.

New cooling system (Currently distilled water in a mixing bowl with a pond pump), I'm intending on what will essentially be a PC water cooling system with a hefty reservoir.

Interior Lighting, fairly self explanatory

New stand. So... I'm actually running out of places to put tools and robot stuff. I have a 2 bed flat, one bedroom is already a full robot room dedicated to fighting robots. My kitchen has CNC corner with the 2 printers and router. This is going to have to live sortof where my TV currently does so I need to make a stand to hold both... And I'm unwilling to move it to the garage.

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Just what we needed, another way for you to make huge discs... :roll:

Looks incredible Alex; I know you'll have some big plans for it so excited to see the use it's put to. :)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Unfortunately this won't be able to cut metal (I'd need to add about 2 zeros onto it's pricetag for that!), I've only cut them as they were the first DXF's I found in my mammoth CAD folder. :P

But it'll be pretty handy to check stuff like that before getting it done properly. Cut a FW out of MDF to check it all fits and works before getting it waterjetted from hardox and the like. Being more of a delicate machine than the router I can do some more detailed work with it and hopefully let me try some crazier designs with it.