GeorgeR's robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kaazmin

Re: GeorgeR's robots

Post by Kaazmin »

ill be bringing some more cans if u wanna test in the arena ^-^ I have a new motor mount on error so hopefully ill be able to move past 30% power without knocking out my own spinner :P
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

That's stylish! Makes all the printer bots look.. well.. plasticky! :roll:
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Well, Ant Freeze was both great fun and rather successful.

Valkyrie exceeded all expectations, it proved great to drive, and the weapon was surprisingly powerful. Winning its group, and picking up 6 victories on its way to 4th place overall was far more than I hoped for. Not that it was all smooth sailing, after about the third fight it became apparent that the weapon wasn't spinning as smoothly as it should be, and despite my best efforts on the day it deteriorated until it finally seized up just in time for its final fight (against Drumbldore!)

Zero proved decent once again, picking up three wins, but sadly didn't get to face any more spinners. Vampire continued its abysmal form, with 2 straight losses meaning it now has only one win in three events. At least it did take out Bad Idea in the horizontal spinner battle.

Now I better get back to finding out what went wrong with valkyries weapon so it doesn't happen again!
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Autopsy complete...

Turns out the issues I had with Valkyries weapon were due to the motor bells detaching from the shaft and hitting the stator.
It appears there are a few reasons for this;
1) these motors are apparently known for being weak here (now you tell me!)
2) the weapon wasn't fully balanced (vibration!)
3) the ends of the weapon aren't perfectly square (more vibration!)

Issues 2 and 3 should be sorted by spending more time getting the weapon right, I was aware of both but as it seemed to be working ok prior to ant freeze i didn't bother fixing it, guess i shouldn't have been so lazy. For the motors i'll see what i can do to toughen them up, I think some loctite 638 should do it.
It's worked so well when it was working I really have to get it going again before next time!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

AWS 54 seemed to be the event where I finally picked up some damage on my bots, but despite having a fair bit of repair work to do it was good fun and pretty successful overall.

Zero continued it's solid record with another 4 wins, including a particularly bruising encounter with Don't Hug Me that gave the front scoop a bit of a battering...

Following some work reprofiling the weapon Vampire picked up a couple of wins, which was good, but then decided to attack itself in the spinner rumble leaving it open to some gouges in the side...

I had high hopes for Valkyrie, and it performed excellently in it's first fight. Unfortunately the second fight was against Combatant, and despite getting the victory it took a lot of big hits to the weapon and it's supports, meaning I had to finish the tournament with an improvised acetate wedge rather than the drum.

Sorry for the rather picture heavy post, but everybody likes damage right?
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Oooof that scoop on Zero. I think robots the country wide have nightmares about facing Don't Hug Me.

I think Valkyrie is overall my favourite ant weight from this forum or that I've seen in person. Such a nice looking little bot.

I'm a bit sad I had to miss this event. Can't wait to see the video. Am planning on coming to the one in June!

What's your next project gonna be? Any more ants in the pipeline?
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Yeah, I'm glad I chose a big lump of steel for the scoop or things would be much worse, Don't Hug Me put a huge slice clean through the chassis of Stewie at the aws.

Valkyrie needs a fair bit of work, the main aluminium side section wants replacing, it's really deformed around the front and it needs to be square for the weapon to spin. I'm also planning some upgrades to make the front tougher so this doesn't happen again, and changing the weapon motors for a more powerful and robust model!

Once I get that done I've got some more plans, a new version of Zero is fully designed and just needs building. And I'm also working on a walking version of Vampire, but getting the walking mechanism right is taking time.
Fulford

Post by Fulford »

All your bots looks so good I'm excited to see what the extra versions look like!
First ant under construction :o
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Anybody for robot gymnastics?

Not really sure how doing a handstand on the axe (axe-stand?) is going to help it win anything, but I like it anyway!
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

That's awesome 😂
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot