Team BLEEP build diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Another noob bot

Post by Shakey »

voorsk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm I thought it was you, but despite my son having watched it half a dozen times on iplayer, I've only seen that sequence once, so I couldn't remember. :roll: It was certainly eye opening!

I've ran into my first quandary.. I bought a Turnigy 12v 2-3S Basic Balance Charger, and I thought I had a PSU to use with it, but the 12V PSU I've got supplies 2A instead of the 1.5A recommended in the indecipherable manual.

I don't want to risk any explosions, so is using a 2A power supply likely to be an issue, or is it okay? I'm suspecting it's okay, but thought I'd better check. :)
Amps are drawn not pushed. So it doesn't matter if you had a 1000000A supply the charger will just draw the amps it needs to function.

Voltage on the other hand is pushed so a higher voltage supply will kill something.

As a side note it's always good to have your power supply slightly higher amp than what you expect to draw for a bit of a safe margin so 2A is great for it.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes, it's fine.

The current must be rated at least as much as it requires, it won't start any fires if the PSU is higher rated. Nothing bad will happen.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Thanks for the answers!

I had a feeling amps were okay, but i get a bit paranoid when lipos are involved. I've read too many warnings! :P
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Batteries charged!! :D

(cripes, my phone camera is a bit smudged!)

So, that wasn't too scary. What's all the fuss about?

Tonights plan is to plug everything together and, if nothing melts, get the tx/rx working. Time to research FlySky FS-i6 setup instead of working..
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

quick update before bed..

it lives! :D
this may not be the final setup.. it's too wide, for one thing! :P
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Soo.. putting it all together wasn't without issues.

Binding the receiver was easy, but when I attached the motors, they didn't seem to be going in the right directions. It was really difficult to tell what they were doing when they were just sitting there, so I sellotaped it all together mainly just so I could tell what direction everything was going in.

It turned out that I had one motor on the wrong way, and the channels were also connected the wrong way around. Signal 1 on the DasMikro went to channel 2 on the rx, and signal 2 went to channel 1. I suppose it might also depend on how the motors are attached.. I can't quite get my head around that bit. :roll:

After sorting that out, it seems that something is up with the rh motor. It sometimes doesn't work, but after fiddling with the wires to no avail, turning the tx off and on again seems to fix it. Weird.

The next stage of the plan is to get it all attached to something a bit more solid, and then try wiring up the servo to see how that works. Then I suppose I'd better think about what it's gonna look like!

I'm posting a lot in my own thread, aren't I? :oops:
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That's not a bad thing I often find while trying to explain a problem to others I come up with the answer.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

not much progress, other than attaching the bits to a cassette case (4" wide!) instead of flappy cardboard.

me and my son have began tests on the Lego companion, tho..

despite my bot being able to push it while it was stationary, i don't think i'd like them to have a proper fight, coz i think i know who'd win. :o
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

not much progress, yet again. :P Well.. not on my bot, but my sons Lego bot has been rebuilt three times. two wheel bot, four wheel bot, windmills, and a tracked bot. I have learned that 4 wheels are way better than two, and that plastic tracks are rubbish.

I've been waiting for switches for the power wires, so that i can re-solder everything in a slightly more robust and contained fashion, but they still haven't turned up. UK seller, my bum!

so last night, i decided to plug the servo into the RX and see how it works. first impression: slowly!

controlling it from the switches seems to be the fastest method (will look into replacing one with a microswitch), but it's far from the flappy things I've seen in AWS videos. I'll have to wait until i can use full voltage and leverage to pass proper judgement, tho.

So, my next task is to work out how to reverse the controls while the bot is inverted. I can't find a quick way of reversing the controls on my TX (it takes about 5 clicks through the setup menu), so I need to do something a bit more complicated. Maybe a tilt switch, or something.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

voorsk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 am so last night, i decided to plug the servo into the RX and see how it works. first impression: slowly!

controlling it from the switches seems to be the fastest method (will look into replacing one with a microswitch), but it's far from the flappy things I've seen in AWS videos. I'll have to wait until i can use full voltage and leverage to pass proper judgement, tho.

So, my next task is to work out how to reverse the controls while the bot is inverted. I can't find a quick way of reversing the controls on my TX (it takes about 5 clicks through the setup menu), so I need to do something a bit more complicated. Maybe a tilt switch, or something.
The MG90 is not a fast servo, the ones at an AWS you see flipping quickly with good amounts of power are normally wielding the TGY306HV servo (affectionately known as the 'pink servo').

People don't normally have any reversing of channels for when they go upside down, controllers normally lack any functionality for this and tilt switches add an extra layer of complexity (another point of failure) and in an often turbulent match (such as being flipped or knocked about) are going to be either slow to respond or picking up many false signals. Driving upside down without doing anything to the controls is normal and is easy enough with a bit of practice.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!