Team Dudge build diaries.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Derek Dudge

Team Dudge build diaries.

Post by Derek Dudge »

Hi again folks :D

So since I last posted I have been busy doing what parts I can of Robot build number 1. I'm still waiting to hear about the nano kit, and have begun thinking about alternatives just in case, but in the meantime I got to work on the bits I could, namely the polycarbonate bits.

I now have a body for the robot to live in!

Now, I just wanted to say real quick. I read on here several times before I started "oh, that 1.5mm poly, easy peasy, cut it with scissors, bend it by hand no problem at all". Well. Phooey. Easy isn't a word I'd have chosen haha. Several nipped fingers, a bunch of swear words, and three sheets of trial and error later, ehh, I guess by the end I'd kinda got the hang of it. My last few goes at bending were much better than the first lol. I broke a pair of scissors too! Easy to cut and and bend, my bum. I did it though!

Worth me mentioning again - umm, this is not a super high tech project. I bought a cheap knock off dremel drill, a pack of sandpaper, and a clamp. I don't have a workshop or much experience at all with this stuff. Go easy on the new guy haha. My last experience of workshop/electronics was terribly run GCSE classes, which was... a few years back now. I'm learning and relearning a bunch though.

Anyways on to the robot!

It's gonna be 4wd invertable push bot, keeping simple this first time. There'll likely be other more complicated projects (my housemate is also a huge fan and probably when this one is done me and him will make a 2nd) but first time round I've got enough on to be learning as it is.

Working name for the little guy - Third Law. Thought it appropriate for a pusher robot who's game plan will basically always be - drive at the other robot head on again and again and again. Please do let me know if you guys know of another robot who pinched that name already hehe.

My whole plan was to go for strength/resilience on the front and rear facing. I've seen lots of videos of the spinning weapons people are squeezing into 150g, and damn... So my intention is make something that can survive driving head on into one of those :D get some of that equal/opposite jazz working and try to out tank the weapon. My thinking is that with 4wd I ought to be able to shove back pretty well.

Also the sides (and more importantly the wheels) will be well covered, though side on the build is nothing like as strong as front to back. Really i feel this thing is for head on collision.

The weight of the thing bolted together - approx 65-68 grams. I last weighed it before I'd finished the lid part so I have to rough it to about 68g. Should hopefully fit into 150g with a nano kit, battery, etc. I've done an estimate and will be very close
Maybe I end up needing to drill a few holes.

Dimensions - it should *just* fit into the cube on diagonal. 122mm long, 96mm wide

Hopefully soon this diary can turn to internal stuff. I think, for now, I've done what I can.

Some pictures!

Last edited by Derek Dudge on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
GeorgeR

Re: First time building diary: Third Law

Post by GeorgeR »

That's looking good and solid, and it sounds like you've got the weight about right. If it ends up a bit overweight a good tip for saving weight is making sure the bolts are just the right length, I saved the final 3g to get my axebot to 150g by using shorter bolts.

If your looking for an easier way of cutting polycarbonate i can recommend a pair of aviation snips, they are designed for sheet metal but work great on polycarbonate too, I use these ones from screwfix which are nice and cheap. Those and a pair of wire cutters for more intricate cuts are my main tools for polycarbonate.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think it's fair to say that cutting 1mm polycarbonate with scissors is easy enough, but that extra half a mm makes all the difference! Tin snips and wire cutters are a good suggestion for when the going gets too tough for scissors.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

What about a hack saw?
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Haha yeah I was just being a bit daft in that bit about cutting and folding the stuff. It was more difficult than I expected but really half of the problem was me using scissors that weren't quite up to it. Hopefully I've cut all the poly i need for this project now, but next time I would definitely invest in a pair of those snips linked up above.

Quick question that I'm sure one of you guys could answer that doesn't really need a whole separate thread.

Do the wheels from the nuts and bolts webshop count the type part in the 30mm? Or is it 30mm plus tyre?

Cheers!
My robots:

James Bennett

Post by James Bennett »

The 30mm is including the tyre, I just measured a couple and its about 31mm to the edge of the treads.

I have found that it is often easier to score polycarbonate with a knife and snap it, rather than using scissors.
Team Risky Biscuit:
Plan B
Vanguard Mk 2
FoxFire

Post by FoxFire »

Liking the look so far :) What kind of drill did you use for the holes and screws?
Mark Smith - Team Frey
Polaris (Front Hinge Flipper)
Proxima Centauri (Rambot)
Sprocket Raccoon (Lifter/Rambot)
Fighting Fox (Flipper)
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

I used a cheap dremel style grinder/drill tool that I got from amazon for a tenner. It's probably a get-what-you-pay-for level of quality really but it drills Polycarbonate okay

So, nothing new to show pictures of but...... Tonight I ordered a nanotwo ESC and 4 of the tough hub wheels from the nuts and bolts site, and 4x 30:1 6v micro motors from another site (sadly these are out of stock on the N&B site.

I was a little confused as to how all 4 motors connect to the ESC but Alex explained a bit in an email and I'm feeling ok about that again now.

Things I still need to buy:

Batteries & charging/safety bits
Soldering iron (the esc will need soldering to the motors now its not a kit per se)
A few wires and other miscellaneous internals bits such as a little switch
Transmitter handset.

Might have to wait until end of the month now to finish shopping, but at least if the motors are delivered fairly quick I can work on mounting those.
Last edited by Derek Dudge on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Small update. Had a little time to kill so I swiss cheesed the lid in anticipation of being very damn close to the weight limit. I could do a ton of holes in the base of the chassis if more is necessary. It probably will be.

And yay, motors! They are cute little things, huh? Tiny gears.

I got the esc and wheels coming probably next week from nuts and bolts, but I'm glad the motors came quickly because now I can keep working on it in the meantime figuring out where and how to attach them. Gotta rise them up from chassis base so the wheel centre is halfway up the thing.

Might need to get a little hot glue gun.

My robots:

MrEnDo

Post by MrEnDo »

Nice build so far!

Where did you get your motors from?