AWS 53?

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Lincoln

Re: AWS 53?

Post by Lincoln »

one of the things that some people organizing events have done is to ask for donations to help cover the cost of the venue. the idea of a mandatory entry free of a couple of quid per robot has also been thought about. so if the cost of the venue is an issue and getting a sponser to cover the cost is difficult then you could ask for people to give a little per robot to cover the cost.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Lincoln wrote:one of the things that some people organizing events have done is to ask for donations to help cover the cost of the venue. the idea of a mandatory entry free of a couple of quid per robot has also been thought about. so if the cost of the venue is an issue and getting a sponser to cover the cost is difficult then you could ask for people to give a little per robot to cover the cost.
I certainly don't mind contributing a couple of quid as an entry fee, if that's what's necessary to run the event!
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

So... after a lot of legwork behind the scenes (hence the relative radio silence!), there is progress - relatively slow up until now - but I have a sponsor-group who will sort the venue booking out from inside the University - ergo no charges to me - so things can move quickly from here.

Exactly which space we're going to get is still under discussion - but I am going to see a candidate space this week and will be able to confirm if that's good fairly quickly.

I am currently eyeing up either the 4th or 25th November as candidate dates and hopefully Dave and I can confirm this shortly.

I think the right words at this point are: Watch this space.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

That's great news, looking forward to hearing further progress. :D
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Unless anyone can think of a good reason not to - the provisional date (subject to venue confirmation) is Saturday 4th November 2017.

I am going to ask that you all please bear with me while I get used to this as I've not even been to an AWS event before, let alone thought about running one, and I'm glad Dave's on board to help me along the way (and I'm gonna need all the help I can get I think!).

I have a few meetings over the next week or so to try and get things ironed out - but as soon as I have confirmed venue bookings etc, I will look to put an "official" event thread up, get registration opened etc.
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

I'm probably busy on the 4th, but hope it goes well. Thanks for pushing through on it, it's a shame we've not had more AWSs this year, but I understand the reasons why!
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

The room booking has been requested - It's a really nice space assuming I get it. It may be 3rd floor - but there are (relatively large) lifts so panic not.

There's going to be a charge for a security guard to sit on the doors all day (sigh) that I found out about today - but I don't think it'll be a massive problem.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Sounds great! I think that should be an achievable deadline for my build. Hopefully I'll be able to get a lift up on the day!
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Really looking forward to this, will your new arena be ready in time?
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

In an effort to avoid me trying to do too much at once - I think Dave will be arranging for an arena rather than me providing one at this stage. Life events are currently deciding to get in the way of me doing as much roboteering as I'd like to.