ANTipodean Activity

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ant Ipodean

ANTipodean Activity

Post by Ant Ipodean »

We have built an Antweight arena here in Auckland, New Zealand, with the expectation that we can get a club scene happening.

I have spent some time on the forum and watching AWS on Youtube, then tried to incorporate the most current UK thinking in the arena configuration.
With a combat area measuring 1100mm x 1400mm, it is on the larger side and possibly could also be used for one pound (454gm) robots, though the primary intention is to focus on Antweight (150gm, 4” cube).
A polycarbonate battle box is still on the drawing board, so no spinners yet!

I have bought an assortment of components for building the Ants, mostly from merchants on AliExpress, and have been impressed with the value and generally prompt delivery.

We welcome interest from anyone in this region who would like to participate.

Thank you to the many posters on this forum who have provided the wealth of information to enable us to get his project going.

I have a (perhaps overwhelming ;) number of questions, to ask over on the Q & A forum.

Mike.
Ant Ipodean

Re: ANTipodean Activity

Post by Ant Ipodean »

I tried to post a photo of the Arena above, but no joy. How do we do that?
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Budget for a beginner Antweight -

We bought 3 kinds of radio sets to try. Hobbyking HK-T6A V2, FlySky FS-i6, FlySky FS-i4.
And also bought a usb programming lead for them, but have not yet had the time to figure that stuff out!

The FS-i4 at $US27 incl shipping seems to be up to the job and even has a v-mix switch on the front panel.

So it seems that a basic pusher Ant could be built for $US55-70 (£45-55) plus body materials.

FS-i4 Tx & Rx $27
2 x motors & wheels $8
Battery, charger, lipo bag $12
2 x ESCs $8 or DasMikro $16

Am I missing anything?

We started playing around with Correx board for chassis mock ups, then realised that it could be a respectable material for the actual robots if one designs for the material’s characteristics and especially if it is laminated with the flutes running perpendicular between layers.
It is not rigid, but it is tough.
I sometimes think it may have a better strength to weight ratio than carbon fibre :lol:

Mike.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Ant Ipodean wrote:I tried to post a photo of the Arena above, but no joy. How do we do that?
You need to upload it to something like imgur first. You can't pull photos from facebook like that.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Here is another attempt at a photo ..

http://i.imgur.com/Evieoeh.jpg