Bot Building Questions!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bot_bandit

Re: Bot Building Questions!

Post by bot_bandit »

The plan was to have a long and slightly angled wedge at the front.. just enough to get under the bot and get their wheels off the ground (hopefully), with the battery, wheels servo etc all being at the back. However this would involve some good driving to get them from either the side or the back. A lifter grabber could be quite effective, one won battlebots last year. However being just my second bot I don't know how confident I would be with tackling something like that. Wouldn't be sure how to wire extra servos/program them correctly. I'd probably need a more clever transmitter too an those are expensive :/

As for the pad being too grippy, could driving at the other bot fast enough or ramming them into a wall solve this issue? Perhaps just have the grippy pad a little further up? I do agree that this would be an issue
Luke H - Team Bandit
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

If the Titanium's still an option for you, Id recommend a pair of Stanley Fatmax aviation snips for just over £10 including delivery. They cut 1mm nicely, and in conjunction with a clamp or vice, work effectively as it tends to bend the titanium when cut so with a clamp you can bend it back afterwards. I've just cut out a second claw for Roc, my vertical grabber robot. It gets quite a nice grip with the claw it already has, although the servo tends to lift up the top panel when it grips things tightly, partly because the top panel is only screwed on in three corners; and it's attached directly to a servo horn in two places so it doesn't dislodge easily.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

1. I refuse to admit bite force was a grabber and lifter lol more like 'scoop occasionally featuring prong things'

2. I would probably put the grip on the claw not the wedge as then you only have to release the grip with the servo to let them go
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Titanium is definitely still an option. I could do with some better scissors anyhow as I don't want to keep blunting all the ones in the kitchen.. I'll have to get myself a pair!
One concern I had was that when grabbing onto a robot the servo could try to tear itself out, which is which I was wondering which ones you guys went for?
Haha that is true about bite force!
Having grip on just the claw may be the way to go, I guess that avoids entanglement too. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Last edited by bot_bandit on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke H - Team Bandit
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Grip on the claw is a decent option, I had plans for a grabber where I could just put a tyre on the end of it as a slightly squishy grippy bit :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Yeah I think that's most likely the best way forwards. Haha well it would squash around any shape so not such a crazy idea!! I'll keep you guys updated on anything I do of course, but not sure if there's time to get another robot built before I'm back to uni. May have to be a project for the Christmas break.
Luke H - Team Bandit
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

Hmm, I think there is a time limit for how long you can pin a robot for, can remember how long - 30seconds? It's in the rules. As long as you can pit them/damage them in this time, that shouldn't be a problem.
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I think it's 15 but in ant terms 15 is ages, if you haven't pitted them in 15 seconds on 1 grip you aren't gonna do anything with them without Letting go and repositioning yourself anyway so the pinning is rarely a problematic rule, it's just there to stop putting wasting people's time pinning forever and a day
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

It's me! back again with more questions! Originally I was asking about a claw bot, however after consideration I've had a change of plan! I'd like to try something a bit different and more challenging (perhaps more effective in battle). I'd been thinking about a sort of lifter bot. Either with a scoop that had one linkage and could do 360 degrees around the bot (like Shakey's recent red bot (not copying promise!)) or to have a scoop connected with two bars at each side which wouldn't allow 360 movement but would keep the scoop vertical and add more support. I'm leaning more towards the 360 at the moment for self righting purposes mostly.
Thus, my questions are as follows:

Running two servos: I'd like a servo on each arm of the scoop. I was wondering the best way to do this. I'd like to use Rory's Nanotwo and was wondering if it is possible? Is there such a thing as a 3-pin splitter to plug them in to?

360 servo movement: Wondering which servos are recommended to 'hack' for the 360 movement? (or would motors be best?) and I'm also wondering whether any extra programming/wiring etc is required for this? or use a board that isn't Rory's Nano? I only have the basic Blade transmitter so ideally I'd like to use the left stick's left/right movement for rotation direction as the stick will spring back to the middle.
Motors: Are there any motors which are good for pushing bots? doesn't have to be super fast.

Sorry, I know I always ask a lot of questions! If you think you could help with even one of my queries I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Luke H - Team Bandit
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

If you're going for a 360 movement then using 2 gearmotors and a VEX29 ESC will only cost ~£15 and probably be more robust and controllable.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!