Fighting robots for children

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Spaceman

Fighting robots for children

Post by Spaceman »

Hello all

I was wondering what people suggest as good robot activities for a four and a half year old. Thinking that he is a a bit young to make ants/ go to aws right now, but welcome suggestions.

Cheers
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
BeligerAnt

Re: Fighting robots for children

Post by BeligerAnt »

Start them off with a walker with a *really* nasty spinning weapon of course! :P

But seriously, I think 4 1/2 is a bit too small for a full-on AWS. Although if you build a compact rolling chassis for him he can build cardboard bodies to his ability and "fight" with you on the kitchen table. Might be better to start at a slightly larger scale.
Obstacle courses are always popular and really help to improve driving - make them really easy to start with, they're always far harder than you think when you set them!
Bring him along to the AWS if you think he will be interested, but have plenty of other things to keep him entertained. An AWS goes on *for ever* to a 4 year old!

For reference, James (my son) started at 7 and I think the youngest we have had have been about 6.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

That's useful advice. Will have a think.

Thankyou
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

My suggestion for getting people into robot related building, is to start with Lego Power Functions, its very easy and safe.

Thats how I started my robot building and it's good for beginners.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Killer-Wolf (2.0), Bunny-Ears (1.5), Blue-Terror (CAD).
Featherweights:
CSB 1 (retired) CSB 2 (under construction).