Epic Robotics

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: Epic Robotics

Post by EpicentrE »

You didn't break it; it appears that the self-righting servo was twitching when the disk was spinning. If it twitched badly enough, the disk would catch on the top of the armour flap and jam the whole thing up. Not sure what's causing it, but I suspect a power dip from a BEC somewhere. Quite peculiar.

Outside of that I'm fairly happy with how it performed, though. The good hits it did get in the fights where it didn't self-destruct worked as planned; causing some good damage and throwing robots away without also throwing itself in the opposite direction.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Until it broke quite a few people thought it would come close to winning
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Since Post-AWS roundups seem to be all the rage, I thought I'd do one!

Void: Reliable as always, unfortunately it still loses against anything which it can't control, which is normally things with huge wheels or which can get around to the side, as I'm quite slow at turning. I have 7g or so spare on it, so I'm looking at possibly saving a little bit of weight elsewhere and bodging a servo into the top of the flipper to grab people. This should tide me over until I want to build a new version.

Entropy: As I've said, the hits it did get were excellent, and the one time it lost without destroying itself was against what I knew it would lose to, so I can accept that. Its a bit frustrating that the weapon jammed itself twice in a way which didn't show up during testing, but at least I know what was causing it now. I have an idea to keep the weaponry the same while removing one of it's core weaknesses, but that requires a full rebuild.

EmberStorm: Utterly undrivable. I was using the new Deltang RX65 board, and while I absolutely love how compact and powerful it is, it's designed for cars, not robots. Because of that, the outputs don't brake when the sticks return to the centre; they coast instead, which makes it tricky to drive, as it ends up carrying on forwards when you expect it to stop. I've e-mailed David at Deltang and he says he'll look at adding a brake option into the programming options for the future, but for now I'll just replace it with something else.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

EmberStorm was great. I'd love you to keep it going and get it under control. The fight against Anticide was one of the best of the day til it drove out.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
suvv

Post by suvv »

i watched the vid of this and im suprised entropy didnt decimate everything and i too loved ember storm would love to see how the insides are laid out though i have never heard of the control bord you used though after looking into it i thinki might have to get something similar for chaos theory (my chaos 2 toy mod )
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I posted a picture of the insides earlier in the thread: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/313 ... .45.13.jpg. I had looked at the Chaos 2 toy, but I think the biggest issue you'll have is getting it to self-right. Even the real Chaos 2 couldn't self right unless it still had a lot of gas. Unless you mod it such that the flipper swings much higher, or you add a seperate self-righting arm, I don't think it will right; and of course, both of those options make it less realistic. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, though.

I definitely would not recommend the RX65 at the moment, due to the lack of brake. If David at Deltang gets around to adding that feature, I'll be shouting about them from the rooftops.

This Entropy design really has too many weaknesses to have gone all the way, even if it hadn't self-destructed, but the concept was sound. Expect something similar from me again in the future.
suvv

Post by suvv »

thanks for the pic good to see my brain was running at full capacity when i looked for that before asking :P

i mainly picked chaos because i had one and i enjoyed watching it go almost unmodified for a very long time and still be sucessfull the problem ihave is that it mich be a bit long to fit in the cube to be comp legal so tweeking might be needed and as for the self righting i have already modified the swing on it so it now goes farther but i fear i might need to add a bit to the top of the flipper to give it the extra push though my 2mm polycarb for the base has arrived so going to crack on with that soon.

i loved the new twist on spinners as everyone is going horizontal or 90 degree vert and no one is messing with it love a bit of experimentation if i get it working we will need to have a chaos theory v ember storm match :)
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
suvv

Post by suvv »

also what motors and wheels did you use in ember as i have the same motors but mine dont fit for some reason i thing it might be the shaft lenth
how hard can it be???
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Pololu HP 30:1 with the old "bling" wheels. However yes, I had to cut the shafts down in order to get them to fit.
suvv

Post by suvv »

thanks i fear i may have to shop the shafts on mine aswell and i can see myself raiding my collection of random rc car bits to see if i have any tiny wheels what battery is that as i think i might have to get similar sorry for the million questions
how hard can it be???