Epic Robotics

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Re: Epic Robotics

Post by Hogi »

all of my robots apart from two of them are held together by tape and the ones that are are more successful than the ones that aren't! :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

TeamCrash wrote:Dantomkia is a very rare toy. I wouldn't mess about with it. It could be worth a bit of cash in the next few decades.
I bought it specifically for messing about with. I'm not a collector, I don't want it sitting on a shelf gathering dust for the next 30 years. And I honestly don't think the RW toy range has enough mileage to still hold its value years down the line.
EpicentrE wrote:If I was going to convert another it would be Pussycat as we don't really have anything like that in ants and it would be funny flopping about all over the place.
Bought the Pussycat toy also for that reason (PussycANT? :p) that's currently sitting in my workshop with two gearmotors in it.....and nothing else so far! It's still on the to-do list though, just need to get the finger (and cash) out and get it finished. Like you said, seeing it flop all over the place is where the fun will be with it :)
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

surely these toys will be quite succeptible to getting wrecked by spinners.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Because they are mostly single pieces, the plastic should hold ok I think. Glancing blows at least should be ok. Though now we have things like Bad Idea about...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Surprisingly, when converting a toy my aim isn't for it to be super competitive :P. If it gets drawn against a spinner, then it's fun smashy smashy times and out with the superglue!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You'll win with it now Scott!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Jas Halsey made an old-school ant out of the Pussycat toy back in the days of 40MHz and servo drive! Probably circa AWS13 - similar time frame to the Dantomkia toy-based ant (Antomkia I think?)

Jas also made a Refbot, for which I designed and built an RC counter to count out immobilised robots. However, Refbot had a terrible habit of just getting in the way and generally being more trouble than entertainment so was quickly retired from active service!

(Sorry to hijack your build thread with reminiscences Scott!)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Allow me to finally present my new spinner, Entropy:

(Click for supersized version)

I received the disk on Saturday (Thanks Andy!), and after a little bit of machining to get it to fit perfectly, finally got it all together this evening. It just needs acetate and a snazzy name sticker and it'll be ready!

It's a bit of an oddball; the disk is actually at an angle, not only forwards, but to the side also. The idea is that in the whole area at the front of the robot, where the disk will strike opponents, the tooth is travelling upwards, and thus any impact will push me down into the floor and stop me from flying away (and conversely, lift the opponent up and throw them). The armour on the side protects the area where the tooth is in a downwards stroke to stop it hitting something and sending me flying, and that whole side along with the bar the runs across the top can lift up, either to try and flip someone who's got up on top, or to self-right.

That's the idea, anyway. We'll see if it's any good in practice :).
Last edited by EpicentrE on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

Fantastic. Disc is hella nice. Concept is interesting.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That looks very dangerous I must admit I am eager to see it in action (against someone else).