Another New Nanoweight...

If Fleaweights are just too big...

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Re: Another New Nanoweight...

Post by Hogi »

that's awesome Rory! nibble is a cool name as well. this is probably the nano that i'm most afraid of figghting, if i can get my one in the cube that is :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I dunno; Spinni's pretty nasty now, and if Pete's sorted the reliability issues with his then I'm definitely scared of that one :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Max

Post by Max »

Out of interest how do you go about balancing the blade? Do just just spin it and see which side stops at the bottom and if the same side is always at the bottom file a small bit off that side?
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

To drill the hole centrally, I balance the blade on the point of a center punch (or more commonly, a nail), then hit it with a hammer to mark the center of mass. I drill that out, and then balance it on a knife blade lengthways then sideways and see where the blade sits in relation to the center hole. If it's a little off then I just file a bit until it sits spot on in the center.
When the blade's fitted, the weight offset is usually too small to tell by letting it rotates under gravity. However with my single tooth bar designs, I prop them so the single tooth is just touching a surface, so that it makes a noise when spinning up. If the noise gets quieter as vibrations increase, it means the counter weight is too heavy. If it gets louder, the tooth end is too heavy. Very crude, but surprisingly effective.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Well, this happened:

The new Nano drive units arrived, and I wanted to see how they performed on a 2 cell.
As it turns out, pretty well! they have far more speed than you'd ever really want, but they've got pretty decent torque for their size.

Planning on maybe using one split in half to drive Bad Idea; as it stands I only have 15g spare to build Bad Idea's chassis. Since 3 of these motors (if you cut them up) and wheels weighs the same as one gearmotor and polou wheel, then it'll almost double the weight my chassis can be. It would be fine to move, just may not have much pushing power... But it's spinner so if it's pushing it's doing it wrong.

I also might make a fleaweight BullyDozer thing using them, maybe implementing some geared drive to turn some of that speed into useful torque.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Having finished modifying Mutant, Deflea and 10 -9 and redesigning Fleabite and 1 Billionth I am now ready to try these double motor gearbox units out.
Not sure what form the robot will take or which weight class it will be but the only way I can add a 4th robot to my Flea or Nano team is a walker or cluster so it could be a bit of a challenge.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Pleeease make a walker :L Your latest engineering projects have been beautiful; I definitely want to see a walker on your team :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It would certainly be a challenge at nano weight I need to have a think about that.
Just off bowling now my wife, daughter and two grandaughters are taking me out as it is my 68th birthday and its friday the 13th. :wink:
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Ah, Happy Birthday :) Hehe, well it's my 21st tomorrow and I'm spending most of it helping out with an open day :roll:
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Happy birthday Pete and happy birthday for tomorrow Rory!

I like the look of those drive units; I purchased some on eBay and they look like they should be fantastic! I'm hoping to power a nano with them and some TG9z servo boards and hopefully I shall build a flea out of them too. Do you reckon I could get away with using a single TG9z servo board to power two of those motors per side so I can have a 4 wheel drive system or will that not work? I've always wanted to build a 4WD pusher!