Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by peterwaller »

I wasn't worried I just like spinners but I see Alex isn't signed up so I suppose he won't be there.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i like spinners too... just preferably not against my robots :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I'm going but only know 2 out of 4 robots I'm going to compete :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I would love a chance to come up against a spinner with robots such as GiANT Evo II as this incorporates my anti-spinner armour I have been itching to try out but haven't had the chance. Love te sound of the football by the way!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

yes, the football should be good. 2 robots per team, first team to score two goals wins, if no goals are scored within two minutes we go to a one minute extra time session where the first goal wins. if no goal is scored in extra time the judges will decide the winner. one robot/football team per competing team. i agree it should be fun :D :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I posted the damage done at the antweight open earlier on so I'll just link it here:

http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic ... =90#p50896

Carbon:
Still not happy with it, it still isn't driving nicely making it hard to compete.

Hexa-Chopper:
I'm really happy with it's performance, the disc was great though it did self destruct after one particularly aggressive hit but it should just need the mounting beefed up and it can be back for more! I need to find some better tyre for it though, softer ones that will damp the vibration of the disc as it was hard to control and after talking with Peter it seems that would greatly help it out. Might switch it to 2 cell though as I can't take it anywhere near full throttle, but I'll see what effect some nicer tyres has. Also I'm going to dig through my motor stash and see if I can find something a bit faster for its drive!

HSOD:
Was as fun as ever to fight but after a run in with Why Wait? it is a bit worse for wear. So it is receiving a nice new much stronger chassis that should also be easier to maintain. Same issue as Hexa-Chopper on the tyre front but I think that can be easily solved and it is much less pronounced. I am just going to repair it for now but plans are underway to rejig the chassis to shorten it more as it had significant drive quirks due to the length of its wheelbase. Also the circlip on the end of the motor has gone meaning the blade is actually able to fall out, most the time the magnets keep it in well but in one fight it did drop. :S

Ceiling Bot:
When the fan worked it was great but it had some serious reliability issues. I plan on downgrading the fan as the current one is overkill and trying to wedge an active weapon onto it for more fun!

Stanley:
Well... It finally happened, Inertia 2 and Why Wait?'s hunting of it in the annihilator left me trying to defend from 2 spinners at once allowing a few hits onto the chassis not the armour. So after 3 years it is now in need of a new chassis. I'm going to take the opportunity to try and add some excitement to it aswell. :)

In other news:
The heated bed upgrade for my printer arrived! I'll be fitting it this week and seeing what difference it makes. Cost me a whole £10!

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

It's okay guys! You can relax!

Horizontal Spinner of Doom (HSOD) is back and can now hit full throttle and remain controlled (Vs about 50% before). Plus with a 100% decrease in tape, 90% decrease in hot glue and a 100% increase in the number of screws! Now clocking in at 124g.

The new chassis is much stronger aswell so all in all it should hit better and take hits better.

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Looks menacing! I really hope the Antivation Cluster don't have to submit to another beating from this thing!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I was just teasing him on Facebook about his inability to finish of Antivation Cluster. Looks good though Alex. I like it in white.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I am now considering a 3D printer for my more complicated concepts that require precision not really achievable with laminate pouches and scissors!

I am thinking of the Prusa i3 but am unsure of the filament to buy.

Shakey: Your robots are immensely well printed so I would just love to get results like that! I was wondering which filament you used for yours. By the way, your problem with Carbon is probably due to either weight distibution or friction. At the last event, you may have noticed AntWithTopHat running a lot more freely. This is because I added a little springy piece of acetate substitute (yes, another piece of laminate) underneath the front of the robot which actually raised the body of the robot off of the ground and made it drive so much better; give it a try with some acetate and see if it works for Carbon! I would love to see it driving nicely.

Anybody else who could recommend filament would be very much appreciated. I was thinking of using the green 1KG roll of 1.75mm PLA at this link (if the colour really is that bright!) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printer-fi ... 4d2465952e . Would that work well or would it just be completely useless?

Thanks for your help!