Fleaweight World Series Questions

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Fleaweight World Series Questions

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Did no one fancy reading my big, waffly post? Should I move this to a more active topic or does no one actually care much?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

For me the 3" cube is part of the challenge, however, I can understand people's objections to it, so I'd be happy if fleas went to the 4" cube.
haz

Post by haz »

I want me more silly fleaweights!

And I always like robot waffles...mmmm waffles.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

An interesting one would be to remove the size limit all together for fleas, as the weight limit should create enough of a constraint to keep the size down to something sensible. Then you'd have the decision between potential extra size of a flea but less weight, or the extra weight of an ant, but have the size restriction... It's not a particularly serious suggestion, but would just be interesting to see how that would get used :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

I think a 4" limit is practically that anyway really Rory. I doubt fleas could get much better than that without some silly extra long pokey bits or something.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Dave26 wrote:I think a 4" limit is practically that anyway really Rory. I doubt fleas could get much better than that without some silly extra long pokey bits or something.
Did someone say silly extra long pokey bits? :P

I think this is a good idea, it could make for some more interesting designs.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I might be a bit of a stick in the mud but I think we should stay with the 3 inch cube.
When we started it was a challenge to get an ant inside 150 gms and a 4 inch cube.
But as smaller an lighter technology and materials have become available some of that challenge has gone.
Thats why I like the fleas as they still require some carful design to meet the existing rules.
Having built a cluster bot that weighs in at 14gms weight is not that much of a constraint and if we relax the 3 inch cube we will in my opinion lose most of the difficulty.
I think changing the rules to make things easy is a slippery slope we don't want to go down.
Remote-Controlled Dave

It wasn't about making things easy Peter, more about making it more interesting. Sometimes things can be TOO restricting. But I do agree with you too, its why I was hesitant. Fleas are still very much their own weight class, with different challenges, and changing the cube would diversify the designs but lose some of the other current attractions of the class.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Post by haz »

It also lets robots designed to be clusters, that may be larger than the 3" cube etc fight in their weightclass. These robots are generally tougher as they have to take on antweights so it could be a nice boost in levels of competition.
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

maybe 3.5"?