Antweight bits for beginners

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

joey_picus

Re: Antweight bits for beginners

Post by joey_picus »

Now that I think about it, would it be possible to take a servo board, move the potentionometer to the axe...axle, and with a bit of playing around have a motor driven axe that behaves like a servo?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

It would, might have to play with potentiometer values or hack your transmitter to get the extra travel.

Simplest way I can think of is put a resistor on each side of the pot track making it effectively longer so it has to travel further to get the same proportion of voltages hence your axe travel falls within the limits of the pot and transmitter.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Rhys:
I use a scorpion mini for both Kill a Chav and Baby Hell, and a spring return DPDT switch on the TX so it doesn't stall (it does, but its a fraction of a second). I have since used a fingertech board to the same effect but for 4g lighter in someone else's robot (a Baby Hell clone).
sidon100uk

Post by sidon100uk »

Thank you for the information Joey it was very erm.... scary and informative. Love you website but wow love your bots. Pity your in Canada would love to see them.
I'm still waiting for my radio gear to arrive so not looked into a design yet, but my 4 year old daughter is insisting on some sort of John Deere style tractor or maybe a Thomas the tank engine style so it looks like i have my work cut out for me either way i go.

Got i say thought i think i will start with a Sumo just so i can set used to working with the electronics.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Depending when you get to compete you will get to see them, I'll be back in the UK come September hopefully :) Thanks for the comments too, I'm glad I can be of use to someone and feel free to ask any other questions. Good luck! ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

razerdave wrote:There are not many single channel controllers around, only real AW size ones are in the states (Banebots, Fingertechs and (if you have the weight) Wasp's). A decent servo board will suffice with the right mod.
Apologies for the double post, but as a postscript I had an attack of doing things properly and ended up spending C$100 on a Wasp and a bag of microswitches - going to see if I can get the axe to work using the switches to limit its travel so I can just use a normal toggle switch to control it. Will keep everyone posted as to how it goes...the Wasp (and indeed the old Scorpion Mini) has limit switch inputs, and I'd imagine the behaviour could be replicated using a servo board and some resistors in series with the switches, so my problems are likely to be all mechanical rather than electrical!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Hogi was my first ant. we used a sabertooth speed controller and a planet five receiver. we used 2mm thick hdpe for our armour which was very effective against baby hell who I fought in the practise arena after being eliminated from the none spinner warm up by anti matter and the ant world series by a robot called your linel richy stop coming to my house ( that was actually the name of the robot). the paint was chipped slightly but I suppose you have to expect that.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Yeah, your robot was pretty much the 'decent beginners kit', only thing missing was a lipo, but I think Hogi was a good benchmark for a beginner kit.
dcr raptor

Post by dcr raptor »

Does anyone think that an ESC taken from a servo (HS81 in particular) would be capable of giving a similar effect (performance) to the Scorpion mini or the Fingertech ESCs; and does anyone know what the difference might be?
Thanks.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If you're planning to use it with a Lipo, I would really not recommend it. I have used a HS82 MG as a flipper servo for some time now, and I know they are not keen on 7.4v.