AWS 41 - Caerphilly 27th July 2013

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

AWS 41 - Caerphilly 27th July 2013

Post by Rhys »

Hi all,

It's been a while coming, but I'm finally organising an AWS event. AWS 41 will be taking place on 27th July 2013 at Graig-y-Rhacca Community Centre in Caerphilly, South Wales. Any details I have so far have been posted here, and any further updates will be posted here, so keep an eye out for updates.

Provisional schedule:

This is just a rough idea for the moment. I'm planning on booking the venue from 8am-7pm, so that we're not pushed for time, so these times may change if we're running later than planned.

08:00 - 10:00 Setting up (You're all welcome to turn up early to help!)
10:00 - 11:00 Registration, Tech Checks & Draws
11:00 - 12:30 Non-Spinner & Fleaweights World Series
12:30 - 13:00 Lunch
13:00 - 17:00 Antweight World Series & Awards
17:00 onwards - Grudge matches, annihilator, tag team etc.

Venue:
Graig-y-Rhacca Community Centre has a capacity for 200, so should be more than enough for our needs. I haven't been there for the best part of a decade, so I'm not sure on the exact situation with tables, powepoints or internet access etc. I'm going to visit some time in the next week and see what we have to work with.

The full address is:
Graig-y-Rhacca Community Centre
Addison Way
Graig-y-Rhacca
Caerphilly
CF83 8WW

I'm assuming most of you will be using Sat Nav, but if anyone needs directions from the M4, they are here.

There's a car park for about 20 cars at the venue and lots of on street parking if that's not enough.

Public Transport:

For those not driving, you will need to get to Cardiff and then make your way from there. You can get the 'A' bus from Cardiff central bus station, which stops right outside the venue. This is the simplest way to get there, but they stop running back to Cardiff at 4:30pm. Timetable is here

Alternatively, you can get the train rom Cardiff to Caerphilly, and then a short bus ride (confusingly also the 'A' bus) from Caerphilly town centre to the community centre.

Also, I'll be driving from Cardiff to the venue at about 8am, and driving back to Cardiff after the event, if anyone fancies a lift instead of catching the bus/train. But obviously spaces will be limited for this offer. ;)

As Dave asked, yes there is an airport in Cardiff, but you'll probably find it cheaper to fly to Bristol and get the train to Cardiff.

Areans:

I don't have an arena, and can't really afford to build an AWS spec one, so offers of arenas are very welcome. Ideally two would be needed so we can run FWS and the warmup event at the same time. But if we can only get one arena then I guess we can shuffle things about. And it's not really an arena, but if anyone has an accurate 3 inch and 4 inch cube they would be appreciated. Also, I wouldn't mind a volunteer to help out with the actual running of the event (Running fleas while I do warm-up, chasing people up etc.). I think Dave L expressed an interest in this in the last thread, but if anyone else wants to help out, you're more than welcome.

Misc:

There will obviously be prizes etc, I have a few ideas at the moment, but I'll let you know nearer the time. I'll do my best to provide food/drinks etc for everyone, but there's a few shops within walking distance too. I've been playing with antlog 2 (big thanks to Gary for making it!), so I'll probably running the event using that, as well as having print outs (if thats feasible).

Right, I think that's it. If I've missed anything, made any mistakes, or you have any questions/ideas, please let me know. Now all that's left to do is sign up!

Competitor sign up is at:
http://robotwars101.org/ants/antweightw ... php?id=226

A list of those who have signed up is at:
http://robotwars101.org/ants/antweightw ... php?id=226

Cheers,

Rhys

[Moderator edit: added event date to thread title]
EpicentrE

Re: AWS 41 - Caerphilly

Post by EpicentrE »

Firstly, if you want, Andy and I can see whether we can get our arena down for this. If anyone with a huge car or a van is driving past or near Coventry, that would certainly be the easiest option.

Secondly, do you want a stream running, and if so, are you able to investigate the possibility of us being given access to an internet connection at the venue?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Rhys

Re: AWS 41 - Caerphilly

Post by Rhys »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the offer of the arena, I really liked it when we used it at AWS 39, so if anyone can offer a way to get it here that would be great. I think the bigger arenas have really improved the battles in the last couple of events, its just the transport that seems to be causing issues.

I wasn't really bothered about running a stream as it seems like a lot of extra complications and hassle and it won't really improve the day for the people attending. Plus the venue is very old school, so I doubt it will have much of an internet connection, if any at all. But I'll certainly ask them, and if people want it, and someone wants to provide it, then I don't see why we shouldn't have one.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: AWS 41 - Caerphilly 27th July 2013

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Providing work let me have it off, I am happy to help with the running of the event in any way I can Rhys. I can also bring my cubes, made by Josh and as accurate as can be.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I can bring my arena to use.
Like most others I would prefer one of the bigger ones for the main event but it will be available for the fleaweights or whatever.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

team hectic will be at AWS 41 with both our ants and our super ant if I can repair the wheel in time. looking forward to it. Hogi will return and our new antweight thunder will make it's debute
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

We are now booked in for this, so Rhys, let me know anything you need help with. I can bring cubes.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Gonna try and make this, I'll be with done with college for good by then :D just a bit of a long way...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

bitternboy wrote:I'll be with done with college for good by then
Heh, I'll have just started :)

All being well I should be coming to this, with a fairly decent team I hope.
ajw

Post by ajw »

I should be able to make this event, all things being well. I'd be more than happy to have an early start and help set up and pack away as well if you need a hand Rhys.Just let me know.