Roboteering Fails

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Roboteering Fails

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys

After reading about Haz' mishap with his spinner, just wondering if anyone else has had any near misses whilst building or operating robots; I've put a 2mm drill bit almost completely through my finger, had plenty of metal splinters, sliced fingers from blades, few soldering iron burns, and had my fingers bitten by Stewie's flipper during activation.

So what about you guys ?
Jonny

Re: Roboteering Fails

Post by Jonny »

super glues all my fingers together twice
a couple of soldering iron burns
getting hand stuck in ee 3.5 flipper at every event
hitting my finger with a hammer and got a huge bruise
tv stand fell on my leg and got a bruise the size of my fist (this happened 4 days ago)
sitting on an upright sprocket :lol:
deck chair collapse
hit in the crotch with a bungee cord (with the metal bit on the end!)
josh

Post by josh »

Electric shock and then walking up and down the stairs twice to check I was alive :lol:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

The very first time I spun up a brushless motor, I sliced my thumb pretty badly on the blade which I really should have been put on after I'd got the motor working. Apart from this I'd like to think of myself as careful (touch wood).
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Apart from the usual cuts and scrapes, the only thing that sticks in my mind was when I managed to burn my hair on my soldering iron. I think I mainly remember it because of the incredibly bad smell it made!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

I have at some stage done all the usual things- cuts, scrapes, bruises etc..

I think the worst ones for me have been dropping Maelstrom on my foot and getting hit by Shockwave's flipper (i'm just glad that it was a low pressure one and not Aftershock or Whirlwind as the result would have been a lot nastier).
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I managed to grind into my fingernail when building Jigsaw IV which is the worst injury I've really suffered as a direct result of robots. Burning hair, bruises, scrapes, knife cuts, et cetera have all happened though, I consider it an occupational hazard really.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Post by haz »

burns, cuts, tip of my thumb cut off, dropped front of metanioa on foot, dropped murphy's law on my feet :-?
having metanioa upsidedown to work on it and the flipper falling open on my face :evil:

my WORST one though was a few weeks ago, i had murphy's law on my toolbox so that the wheels were off the floor and i was just checking to see if it worked, it did, then(becuse the frame is only a couple of kg's) when i changed the directoin of the motors it shifted backwards so that the wheels were in full reverse touching the desk and the whole thing catapulted itself off the desk and ito my crotch.
that.
bloody.
hurt.

(note: one of the reasons why i got into robots was becuse of the massive scar on my arm, i couldn't do sport anymore, so i took up robot building :P )
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I regularly have cuts all over my hands, was quite bad putting the cnc machine together.

The worst thing i have done is drilled through my finger nail and all. The worst bit was having to force my finger down and off the drill bit. I won't be doing that again!
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I've launched blades across the room at both my brother and Marco before, but without injury. Besides the odd minor cut, I can't think of any real injury I've had as a direct result of being a roboteer, unless you count the bruises and rope-burn I got from Total Wipeout :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39