Fleaweight World Series Questions

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Fleaweight World Series Questions

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hey all.
I'm trying to work out in my head a rough idea of the schedule at the AWS in 4 weeks, as there is a lot to cram in. There are, I think, more fleaweights attending than at any other AWS, which is great news, and I will definitely want to run a 'proper' Fleaweight World Series, not just a single melee.
My questons are all about preferences. There are a few options:

Option 1: Hold the fleaweight world series just after the lunch break, part way through the AWS

Option 2: Hold it after the AWS.

Option 3: Hold it between the warm up and the start of the AWS.

Some things to consider - some fleas are entering the AWS too as part of clusterbots, or maybe even solo. This may involve fighting spinners. There are also a good few fleaweight spinners that you may come up against in the fleaweight comp. So is it better to run the fleaweight comp first so you get a good shot at the title, but risk being damaged/destroyed for the AWS, or visa versa?
There's also the issue that, if we run it after the AWS, there might be time for a double elimination competition, whereas if its run before or during the AWS, we'll have to run single elimination, so as not to risk running out of time for the AWS.
What do you guys reakon?
Cheers. Dave.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Because fleas are more likly to be damaged by ants I think the Fleas should be before the main AWS. Perhaps if we had two arena's we could run it along side the warm up event. We could have it so you either enter the fleaweight or warm up event but not both.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Perhaps if we had two arena's we could run it along side the warm up event. We could have it so you either enter the fleaweight or warm up event but not both.
That's not a bad idea that, Peter. I have had arena offers from both you and Oliver. I guess the only issue there would be space (again).
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

That sounds good, just a quick question, my flea and ant are on independant tx/rx setups, they have different batterys and are completely self contained (i.e: dont have to borrow parts from other robots) if i had another driver, would it be okay for my ant to enter non-spinner and the flea to enter the FWS? would mean my brother could drive a robot for a change

Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yeah, that would be fine Jack. I've no problem with that at all. I don't necessarily mind people entering the warm up AND the FWS, but it depends how many robots we have on the day. I might just limit the warm up to a certain number of ants (say 16), on a first come first serve basis, and then do the fleas. I have no interest in the warm up myself, and would probably not run it at all, but people have said they want one, so I'll provide what the people want.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

That sounds fair, is it one flea per team for the FWS? i have been toying with the idea of slapping together some version of death via teacakes (old flea) but if it would be a hinderance il not bother

Jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Remote-Controlled Dave

No Jack, you can enter up to 3 rollers and 1 walker/cluster in the FWS, same rules as the AWS.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Great :D
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Fleaweight World Series Questions

I think this is the best place for this. I've been playing with an idea in my head and I'm in 2 minds about it, so thought I'd offer it up for further debate here. As mentioned in another thread, it was the idea of increasing the fleaweight size limit up to a 4" cube, but to keep the weight limit at 75g. Personally, when building fleaweights, I find the 3" cube very constricting, which I realise is the entire point of the rule and I am not against the cube rules, I think they breed creativity, but I feel as though the fleaweight one is often too constricting. As Peter mentioned in the other thread, even placing 2 gear motors side by side is too wide and usually means you have to use the diagonal straight off the bat. I usually end up with some sort of truncated wedge which even I find a bit boring.
Now, I do enjoy having this as part of the challenge, don't get me wrong. Trying to get my head around a decent design that still fits in such a small space is good. But then I think about how much more variety we could get in designs if the size limit was increased. As we use the same arenas as the ants, it wouldn't make a difference in terms of running the competition, and may also limit the craze for teaming up 2 fleas as a cluster in the AWS, unless you actually conspire with your intended partner beforehand in order to make them both fit in the cube together when you turn up on the day.
I realise that rules are rules, and I also realise that suggesting changes isn't always met with great enthusiasm, especially if the change just seems to suit whoever is suggesting it. But I think the merits of this change might actually be welcomed by most builders, or at least fairly debated on here. There would be no reason to build something bigger just because (as with the AWS where sizes range a great deal), and I don't think a bigger robot has any distinct advantages over a smaller one, especially as the tiny weight limit has to be spread further.
My reason for suggesting it out loud is I think it could breed creativity and fun which I think is slightly lacking in fleas. Would more people build them if it was an easier size limit to handle? Or do the people who currently compete prefer it BECAUSE it is so limiting? I am definitely in 2 minds here, not sure whether it'd be good for the class or not. But, like the bigger arenas that have started to surface, I think it could be a popular change. I most certainly like the bigger arenas more when in the AWS, maybe I'll love building fleas more if I have a bit more room to breathe? I think a good example comes from Rhys. His fleas are great, but the two halves he uses for Warhorses in the AWS are outstanding and are only limited from being in the FWS by the cube rule. However, the cube rule also means he has to build alternatives and we get to see interesting robots like Shatner's Bassoon and Cyklos in the mix, which would probably be scrapped or adapted if the cube limit increased.
Anyway, I'm in two minds, so I open up the debate. Post all fors and againsts here and we'll see what comes. If some people aren't happy we'll just leave it as it currently is.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
teamocean

Re: Fleaweight World Series Questions

Post by teamocean »

Having not run a proper flea for a while now I could see the attraction of building one should the rule be changed. Anyone who remembers the original Inertia XS will know that it didnt compete as it couldn't quite fit into the cube. But that is a purely selfish reason for wanting the change :)

I like the idea of the change but will happily go along with the majority on this one.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk