MiniSumo Events

Discussions around autonomous, semi-automatic and intelligent robots and systems.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

slurp

Post by slurp »

Just looking back at the initial thread....
thebeardedone wrote:Hmm, I have heard of LowBlow before ... can I ask what competitions have you entered in the past (if at all)?
There's been some discussion on the minisumo forum (here & here) as well as appearing at a number of Midlands Micromouse & Robotics Club events and Rise of the Robots at the National Space Centre in Leicester.

I'd be interested in links to Kristina Miles minisumo Black Widow.

Best regards,
Colin
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

slurp wrote: I guess it takes time to design down to a cost, personally I've started using some low cost motor gearboxes from MUTR ... [snip]
I have looked at those motors in the past but settled on the Solarbotics GM3 for the time being, but they are so cheap I may as well get a couple to test.

I saw Kristina Miles' sumbot in the 'Robot Sumo: The Official Guide' book by Pete Miles. The emphasis in that book is on MCUs but that's why Black Widow instantly stood out at me. It was different to all the others.

Regards,
Sam

EDIT: The only links I can find are results from past competitions. The robot does consistently well considering it has no* object detection.

* NEW, NEW EDIT
Last edited by thebeardedone on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slurp

Post by slurp »

thebeardedone wrote:I saw Kristina Miles' sumbot in the 'Robot Sumo: The Official Guide' book by Pete Miles.
I'd best blow the dust that book and have a look! :wink:

regards,
colin
Last edited by slurp on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

slurp wrote:
I'd best blow the dust that book and have a look! :wink:

regards,
colin
I would. It's worth it :wink:

Regards,
Sam
slurp

Post by slurp »

I'm not sure about AWS32 but I'm certainly able to get toMillennium Point on 26th June.

I see Peter's talking about being there, I've been whipping AFM into shape. I need to give Peter a challenge for his title of UK Champion! It's mechanically sound now, just need some software tuning.

Then I'll be back to the Tamiya for circuit and mechanical mods... almost 3 months to go.

Who else is dusting down their Minisumo?

regards,
Colin
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Hi Colin,

I have replied to your email but I am going to be in Canada for 3 months so won't be able to come. Just out of interest what are you using for the grip on those yellow wheels?

Someone needs to beat Pete at minisumo :D
TEAM GEEK!
slurp

Post by slurp »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:Just out of interest what are you using for the grip on those yellow wheels?
Each side has a pair of polythene wheels from MUTR clipped together. The inner has been drilled to be a push fit on the gearbox shaft and cross drilled for a screw to help stop slip on the shaft.

The blue is Loctite 5926, bought in a tube from Halfords. It's meant to be used as a silicone rubber gasket; easy to use but I'm still trying to master smooth application! While a room temperature vulcanizing rubber it's not likely to be good for moulding as it need moist air to cure :(

It's generally sets in an hour and should have a Shore A hardness below 25, it's reasonably grippy.

Data Sheet and minisumo forum article
Someone needs to beat Pete at minisumo :D
I'm sure he'd laugh at my puny attempts... if he wasn't such a nice guy! Just noted the link I had to his tyre material is broken, unless he's got massive stock he might be brought down to mortal level!

Best regards,
colin
thebeardedone

Post by thebeardedone »

Should be able to make to Millennium Point this year with Brains (who is now in shape but still havent decided on a wheel material)
slurp

Post by slurp »

Less than a month to go....

Tony is reminding us of the welcome on the Micromouse Forum.

Best regards,
Colin
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

This event is tomorrow at Millennium Point Birmingham B4 7XG.
and I shall be there with my mini sumos and wallfollower. Will also be doing some antweight demo's assisted by Scott and Alasdair.