Robots Live Whitwick: 27th & 28th Feb 2010

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

I'll be there on Sunday

Oh yeah
22%
Oh No
22%
OMG
56%

Total votes: 9

EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

alasdair wrote:
EpicentrE wrote: These Robot Live events are fun in their own way, but the horrible loud music, and incessant shouting and cheering get fairly annoying after a while. I'm glad in a way that we don't attract crowds to our nice, quiet, relaxed antweight events :P.
I cant really imagine it.

Oh no, the music isnt going to be too loud?
No dearie, well just have some soft fairy tinkles in the background.
How will we decorate this room then?
I was thinking pink stripes with hearts.
O dear, that hammer looks scary!
Ooh yes!
I will just take it off and replace it with a feather duster in case anyone gets scared. :P
I'm aware that you're being sarcastic, but I don't think expecting to be able to talk to your fellow roboteers without having to shout at what is, ultimately, a social gathering for us is too unreasonable :P. Also, I work in a school, so I get quite enough of children screaming and shouting throughout the day - that kind of thing makes you appreciate a nice relaxed atmosphere :P.

Also, I found that it actually detracted from the fights of the heavier weight classes. The pull of the heavyweights over other weight classes is the huge amount of weight smashing around, and part of that is the noise that they make. That noise sounded a lot louder, and therefore, more impressive, over the lunch break where it wasn't competing with the music.

Grumpy grumpy grumpy *grumps off*.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys

I'm sorry I wasn't really around to watch the antweights, I had my hands full with Cabrakan, glad my arena was of use though :)

I'll fix up the arena a lot better for the next RR event (Nottingham), and I'll put in the raising and lowering pit and I'll fix the arena flipper, and put it back on the control box

Oh, and TBH I agree with scott, ants are a lot more interesting to watch than skeletron :)

As for the loud music, works for me :)
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

The arena was great Dave, but a better one would be greater.

I did have a sore throat after all that shouting, but I don't mind the noise, it's most noticeable when you play back the video.

Simon
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I did mind the noise, I spent a lot of the first day with a splitting headache partially brought on by it all...it was good the first show I went but after going to two RL events it wore very thin.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Joey wrote:I did mind the noise, I spent a lot of the first day with a splitting headache partially brought on by it all...it was good the first show I went but after going to two RL events it wore very thin.
The most i saw of you on saturday joey, you were asleep! :P
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

That's what lying down with headphones on and arms around your head to drown out the noise and pain does to you :P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I don't really mind loud music, but I just don't like much of the music they put on at Whitwick. I wouldn't mind if they were playing Led Zeppelin or the Stones, but I guess I'm a bit old fashioned, and unlike most people my age I don't like pop music :P Anyway, it was a fun event, and I got a chance to help with the running of the competition, so I don't mind too much :D
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

The new terrior is REALLY FAST!
:D
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Second that, on the video it looks ridiculously fast
:D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Thanks guys :D
It uses the same internal comonents as the original, but there is more weight over the wheels, in the new version so it grips better and it's quicker 8)
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror