i want to build one...HELP!

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

i want to build one...HELP!

Post by Team Orr »

hi all,

as most of you know my ants (valiant, dead meat, rip, flamboyant and doom) have all gone in for rebuilds and work is coming along great! i should have a full team for the next event...which is a miracle :)

now that i have that weight off my shoulders and my shed/attic have been built iv got time to build something iv been eying up for a while...a flea

my first REAL attempt was diablo, a brushed spinner, it worked well...but weighed 117gs :( even minus the disk/motor/weapon speedo and most of the armor it weighed 92gs :( this was then taken apart and made into different projects.

so iv decided to start from scratch, all i have is a spectrum dx5e or a hitec laser for a tx...after that im completely stuck :( i dont think a spinner would be a good starting black, perhaps a flipper? any help/links/advice is welcome! more than welcome :)

i have a rough understanding of the fleaweight rules but if there has been any major changes recently can you let me know?

thanks

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Heh, good luck with that Jack :P

I don't think the fleaweight rules are too different from the ant ones, in fact I think they use the same ones with the exception of the 3" rather than 4" cube.

I'd imagine building a flea would be very similar to building an ant except smaller (obviously) and you have to watch the weight a bit more...I'm doing one as well (due to accidentally ordering an 8.5g brushless instead of something more ant sized) and was planning to use Naro HP BBs for drive and 180mah lipos, if that's any guide. You could probably give gearmotors a go but with one of Peter's boards or the Banebots for speed control, the Sabertooth and similar might be a bit heavy?
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Take a antweight and cut in half?

lol, Serious times now:

I got my Flea, Buddy at about 65g, but then I have to sacrifice alot of power, speed and weapon for the weight.

Parts Budy is using:
Drive: Bluebird bms-306
Battery: 1 cell 200mAh (You'll be fine with one cell really)
Weapon: Towerpro 9g servo with a arm. Not strong or whatever.
Chassi/armour: 3mm, 0,5mm polycarbonate (you see the sacrifice here?)

Wheels are thinn and made from thinn polycarbonate.

Oh yeah, I built the original Little devil that Dave W uses, he has modified it to work better now it seems.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I dunno how you work yours on 1 cell :P

LD uses:

Drive: 2 x 50:1 gear motors
Controllers: the guts from a Zebra 16g servo
RX: A Corona Micro receiver
Battery: a 2 cell 135mA Ego Lipo
Wheels: Custom Made Nylon wheels
Weapon: 4g servo, grade 2, 1mm Ti scoop
Armour: 4mm and 1mm polycarb
Additional: 5g Voltage regulator

Total Weight: 77g

I need to lose a little bit more

using those components and an AR6300 receiver would get it at 75g
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Dave what you need is the AR6300 version of the option B board. For normal weapon servo's ie less than 1A the single regulator version is fine and an all up weight including the receiver and regulator of 8.1gms.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... MG0705.jpg
Even less if you shorten the wires.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I will be buying that board for Heretic (new robot to replace F.I.N), and I may well buy one for Divinity, only problem with using it with LD is that I only have 1 spektrum and Divinity needs to use it. Your other option A board with the flying leads, that may be of use to me as well for Stewie and Maybe LD
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

hey

got some drive servos, 7 grams or thereabouts, also a 2mm polycarbonate chassis that has been drilled out for weight, and despite what i said, im going for a spinner :P and a huge one too :P going nightmare (battlebots) style 8)

jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

this progect ha taken a back seat due to me being very busy, however its still being worked on, the only problem is finding a esc for the disk cos i dont really want to buy anything else cos im working on a ?0 budget from theschool lol but its going okay for the moment, im sure to hit the wall soon tho...
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

taken the esc out of a old servo and all is well, this robot should be entering at aws 30 :)
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Well my flea has changed a fair bit now, its being controlled by a Waller Board Option A, and the lifter was going to be a spektrum servo but its not powerful enough, plus it needs a linkage to lift an ant, and a few additions to the front to stop it tipping over forward