Building a heavy

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

maddox

Post by maddox »

1550 amps. The best Ultima car batteries can crank that out.

Some Hawkers do make the same promise.

but the speedo's for that.... BIG Sevcons probably. Thats about it. and those are pure ????????
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

that depends on where you complain too about there not being a controller big enough :wink:
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Let us know how you get on in the states Craig, I'd be very interested
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Build Diary 15th april
Well things have been going a bit slow with the heavy. There was some light at the end of the tunnel till I had a bo bo and blew up one of the speed controllers. Dont ask..... Lets just say he took me out by raming into me so I returned the favour. I will invest in new set of speed controllers and will use the remaining speed controller to power the weapon.
Me and dave have decided we dont want to stick brandspanking new speedos in it so we are making a relay box. Now we have apsoutly no problem getting the thing entirely destroyed. The relay box is half finished and I am waiting for a delivery from maplins.
I have bought my self 4 botch 400 watt motors. Many of the people on the fra forum were grabing them and there was only 7 left!!! So I bought some for a future serious compeitor. It only cost me 50 quid. Just need to speak to craig about how i can attach some kind of transmition to them.
I went wondering around my local town of bradford and found heaven. Yes a scrap yard known as the 'Bradford Waste traders'. I was so happy. I looked around and got a few prices. I picked up a very heavy duty peice of steel angle. 5mm thick steel! Its about 1800mm long and cost me a fiver. I love you scrap yard. They had a massive selection of box section for only a tenner a peice. Oh and each peice is 20 feet long! I wanna go back. They had a nice selection of steel pannels as well so we really have the materials we want for the next one.
Delivery list
My welder should be arriving on monday and I will practise a bit
Fail safes for the relay box's will hopefully arrive on wednesday
some time next week some botch motors will arrive

Building plan. Well we have nearly done all the building for this heavy. We are aiming for a aylesbury competition on the 13th. This is farily close to london so we plan to take the robot down on public transport and maybe my sister will take us to the comp in her car. We will compete with the current wooden version and not mind getting destroyed. Infact if anything we want it to be destroyed. Less peices to take back to yorkshire. The next version will be made with a box section frame. We will decide if we want to keep the current wheel chair motors as they are so simple or move to my brand spanking new botch motors and start getting quit serious for the event we look farward to, the uk championship.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Are you sure you mean botch motors and not Bosch motors.
Nathan Windisch

Post by Nathan Windisch »

[deleted]
Last edited by Nathan Windisch on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hmmm, I meant that you have gone heavyweight mad. Good luck with it, and we will see you at Aylesbury on the 13th May.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Heavyweight mad, yeah. lol. Is Aylsbury that close? Didn't realise...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Yes i is crazy!!!! Mwahahahahah
Heres an update. Not quite a heavy weight update but more of a status update.

I was on the way to my local scrap yard to pick up some steel box section and i pased a car scrap yard. The guy was really nice and I decided to buy two wind screen wiper motors off him. He did a good price of 15 pounds for two. These are nice and I can see why people are crazy over them. I plan to use them in an experimental feather weight. The idea is to practise chassie building by building a feather weight chassie. I will then be able to build the heavy weight chassie with a bit more ease.
My mig welder arrived today and I was well chuffed. Its a sip 110 amp gassless mig welder. I was eager to have a go creating weld pools as many people said I was stupid to start off with a gasless. I kitted my self up and put on my new welding mask and gauntlets. I also moved to a location with lots of freash air.
My main issue when I started was not because i was using a glasless but because of the welding mask. I cant see anything! I can only see very the sparks and slight outlines. I got the hang of it but I didnt understand the argument between gas and gasless. The main complaint was that you couldnt see how the weldpool was as you weld. But I can see dear all any ways to it doesnt matter to me. Any hows off course my first welds were a bit sloppy. But with a bit of time and practise I started producing some nice welds. I practised some butt welding and it turned out real well. I moved on to more metal to metal welding. I produced some nice welds and on a strength test it worked well. I was able to weld 3mm steel easy. I wouldnt want to try anything thicker however.
I tried a little project by experimenting on a steel frame which I took from a skip. I cut a chunk of out of it and then welded it back together but shorter. I used a method by adding a root gap. Basicaly i only just spaced the metal apart a bit so the weld filled the hole. It worked very well and was a very strong weld. Chassie building here I come!!!
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

How can you have a gas less MIG welder.
MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas