All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

See you in Doncaster then, Tanto vs ur heavy
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

March 25th
Today was the day that me and dave met up and got really cracking on the heavy weight. And cracking we did. We met up at 9:30 and headed to BandQ. We bought
A jigsaw
nuts and bolts
screws
a massive sheet of plywood
and some casters
After we got the plywood cut up by the nice peeps and also got some free offcut we head home. It was a long journey and we got back to the house around 1.
We spent a good amount of time looking over the chassie which dave had yet to see. He also put forward a good idea to have the wheels outside instead of inside the shell. I agreed that it was a good idea and before we were able to start I got a phone call. Liz had just been hit in teh head by a hockey ball in her game that she had.
Me and dave stopped and headed over and luckely liz was not bad. The ambulance had arrived and it was just blunt inpact. No deep cuts and no need for stiches. She didnt go to hospital however she wanted to go back with the team to have after match teas. I was a bit anoyed because she should of gone back home to rest but also because me and dave had stuff to do.
After the pub me and dave started finally working at around 3.
Things however started flying together. The only issue we had during the entire build is that the jigsaw isnt very good and doesnt cut in a straight line with the help of a clamped long edge. The most acurate cut I was able to do was just by eye and thats how we gut with the jigsaw for the rest of the build.
We got the main frame done and we bolted the frame to the steel chassie
Once that was done I needed to angle grind some parts from the back of the chassie
Then some more frame to body bolting
Finally we added the casters which was a time comsuming job but we got it good enough.

And tadaa a project that is really taking shape. We deiced to test its handeling with the new shell and i think it was love at first site for dave. Never seen a man so much in love. It did move well and I really liked the out come.

We also decided on a name
Being Of Inconceivable Horror
Since this wasnt a hugelyy serieous project I supose we didnt need a serious name either.

We also have quotes for innuendo
Im afraid ur gona have to be on top dave
hold it tight casue im about to screw it

Tomorrow im doing a lot of work.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Looks like a good solid base to work from. So whats the next step going to be?
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Something Marco has failed to mention, its not gonna be an amazing bot, just a simple bit of fun to show we can compete. I love it to bits, as you can see in the pics!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

I understand that totally, most of my heavies were no more than field fillers and cannon fodder. However, you do like to take something resembling a robot home, so I'd imagine you at least get going on something as armour, if only to keep the parts in place when Graig rams you in the arena wall.

Trust me on this, repairing a heavy at the end of every fight gets boring after a while. I've been there.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

I hope your not going to be using wood armour forever? does look good thou, glad to see some new heavies apperaing now its an absoult delight.

Do need to warn you however i do take the heavies seriously, much more so than the ants, and i'm not the only one, as much as a funbot as you may intend for it to be, you will always meet someone out to prove a point crushers in particular and the axes, they always want to go that step to far the usual excuse of '' you knew it was combat when you entered it'' comes out. You'll know what i mean if and when u fight Terrorhurtz.

If it helps, Hardox at the moment is cheaper than mild steel, at least round here it is anyway if you dont know what hardox is then, its what Tanto is made of, nothing touches it and Sewer Snake the former RFL champion uses it on his wedge to fight spinners top stuff only down side is you have to order it and pay shipping but its proberbly the best thing you can use.

What controller are you using?
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Craig_Anto3 wrote:you will always meet someone out to prove a point crushers in particular and the axes, they always want to go that step to far the usual excuse of '' you knew it was combat when you entered it'' comes out. You'll know what i mean if and when u fight Terrorhurtz.
TerrorHz was ever a problem for me, it was always Kan-opener.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

me and dave are aware that we will probs get trashed. We arn't that scared as the metal chassie is bloody hard. Takes a good 5 mins on an angle grinder just to get through one section. So getting flipped and ramed we feel fine about.
Mainly its overhead attacking that I am more scared with. And also kan opener.
Since its mainly blunt force weapons we want to deal with we can get round that by adding steel to the armour.
We have found a cheap supplier for 6 mm polycarb so we could get a couple of sheets of that and sandwhich them together.
If I can convie dave that we really dont need 80amps of battery power then we have loads of weight spare.

btw here is a video of it running. Its prity slow since its running on the electronics supplied with the speed controller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAt2qv8k1Y
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't want to rain on your parade Marco but I think you are really under estimating the amount of damage a modern Heavy weight can do. Even 6 or 7 years ago when I built a heavy out of welded steel frame and 3mm aluminium armour it got bent on the first hit and the weight limit was 80Kg in those days. I know that wheelchair chassis seems fairly strong but it is built to carry upto about a 20 stone person not withstand several tons of crush. Did you see the thickness of armour on Tanto at AWS22.