Building a heavy

All things HEAV-VY!!

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

Remote-Controlled Dave

Building a heavy

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:19 pm

I've always wanted to have a go at building a heavy, is there any really simple way of doing it?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

paul

Post by paul » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:31 pm

build an ant with lotsa armour :P

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:34 am

There's simple ways, but they're crap. You gan get wheelchair parts, and wheelchair controllers cheap, but they're not much use against todays heavies.

I've made simple heavyweight chassis' out of MDF and some steel, some wheelchair motors and 4qd controllers. They're fun for a while, but hard work, and expensive.

If you're looking for something as a bigger alternative to ants, i'd go for featherweights. Lots of fun, and reasonably easy to build a half decent robots (I got to the final of the only event I ever entered, with 2 drill motors, a big battery and some plywood armour). It's a shame that no ant roboteers get involved with feathers anymore, there used to be a few of us.

But if it's definatly heavies you want, prepare yourself for a difficult ride.

Flippt

Post by Flippt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 am

It's a shame that no ant roboteers get involved with feathers anymore, there used to be a few of us.
Peh, Who said I'm not doing any featherweight? I'm building one, but I havent got my stuff wich I should had about a month or two ago :D
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:04 pm

I didn't say I wanted to build a GOOD heavy. lol. Just its a very interesting idea for a project to me, even if in its first fight it is decimated.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 pm

Any details? Or is it all "Top Secret"? Well if you do go ahead with it, i have some cheapo chair motors.

But I would seriously advise going feather, unless you have a whole heap of tools, plenty of electronics knowledge, lots of cash and the patience of a saint.

Jocaim, will your feather be ready any time soon? I'm going to start work on a new feather when AWS18 is over and all my ants are sorted. It'd be nice to see a familiar face at events, as i don't know the feather guys too well.

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:43 pm

But I would seriously advise going feather, unless you have a whole heap of tools, plenty of electronics knowledge, lots of cash and the patience of a saint.
Er...I'll go feather then. lol. or stick ant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

Flippt

Post by Flippt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:02 pm

Duff wrote: Jocaim, will your feather be ready any time soon? I'm going to start work on a new feather when AWS18 is over and all my ants are sorted. It'd be nice to see a familiar face at events, as i don't know the feather guys too well.
well, I have some stuff at a friend that made my speed controllers out of servos and relays. But if you dont remember, I dont live anywhere near England :P (even if I wanted to)
But I think you should be alright if you go to a fw event, or just go to one before building the robot and get to know some people.
Swedish style!

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:32 pm

So you're building a feather but not competing with it? I'm not looking forward to having that n00b tag when i get going with the feather.

Flippt

Post by Flippt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 pm

We might better we changing this conversation to the featherweight thread, but here we go!
So you're building a feather but not competing with it?
I'm building one but there is a event ones every year in Sweden. We just had the Swedish antweight championship wich is the only event this year. Antweights is the largest amount of robots we have at this moment.

And the Swedish roboticcombat history started at 2003 on a big stranded parkinglot, theres only been 4 events since 2003.
So the robot intrest in sweden isnt that big.
Swedish style!

leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:10 am

I've build 3 Heavies and rebuilt 2 more, and planning to build 2 more after the UK champs, one as a fun bot, the other as a serious competition machine.

Ive also built one feather and I can tell you it is way easier to make a good Heavy than it is to make a good feather. I'm not even mentioning ants. The only reason I have one is I wanted one but it is too small and too fiddly for me to build.

To make a simple heavy, as soon as you have your parts and proper tools you can be done in a couple of weekends. A good one a couple of weeks/months.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:29 pm

Tanto was built over 2 weeks working evenings and weekends, current one has been built in 2 solid weeks.I prefer working on the heavies too because there jus so much more fun, how offen can u see 100kg of steel and aluminium flying up after being flipped or slamming around the arena.
But its personal prefrence, i've ben building robots for 8 years now from featherweights to super heavies to ants and fleas to having the lardy antweight know as Tanto, all with varied sucsess. That said I'm seeded 9th in the uk champs and am looking to improve on a good start to tanto's season with an all new machine.

Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:25 pm

featherweight in 8 hours straight,

Signed former european featherweight champion :P

oh, and yes, i'm working on a DBA-featherweight.

leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:11 am

Cavecrusher wrote:featherweight in 8 hours straight,

Signed former european featherweight champion :P

oh, and yes, i'm working on a DBA-featherweight.
But thats going to take a little longer than 8 hours. :)
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website

Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:31 pm

oh yes, ETF is about june next year, might go to Robolympics with it. And of course show those US pansies that UK Ant ARE the best over here :P