AWS 17

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Burgess Hill has a rail link with Hull - unfortunately it goes via Doncaster, Kings Cross and Victoria! :(

Due to a geographical quirk of fate, most current AWS entrants live within about 30-50 miles of the M25, so that is where most of the events take place.

It's simply down to where people who are prepared to run events (and are capable of running them) live and thus are able to organise a venue.

In the recent past, AWSs have been held in Bristol and Leeds, so it is not exclusively the South-East.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

Dave26 wrote:As long as its a saturday, it wuldnt clash with exams n stuff
True, but we've had people pull out because they have been revising for exams and haven't time to prepare their ant.

BTW, I'm only proposing Burgess Hill as an option so please feel free to volunteer a more northerly venue if you can find one!!
;-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

erm, don't go out of your way for me. I'm skint again, so the ant has been put on the to-do list (A-level project will be Kilobot, because of the nature of parts used)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'm gunna try very very hard to make this event. An easier to get to place would be nicer, but I'd still look for a way of getting there even if its not, so.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi, in my view, if you make the aws a while after the summer exams, but make it too late and people will start to go on holiday. My exams finish at the end of june, as will the vast majority of everyone else's, give us all a week to come back from the land of past papers and desks and you should have a date round the 1st/2nd week in july. Which is before most children break up and before people start going on holiday. how does the 9th sound??

Mark
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

i'm on my way to France the 9th
petec

Post by petec »

There may be a possibility of getting involved with a school fete in Lewes for AWS17 on 2nd July. I know we've had problems with schools fetes in the past, so I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on it.

If we decide it shouldn't be a world series, there is still a possible (warm-up) at the fete.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hey Pete, there's a much better school fete in Portslade the same day! ;)

We have already promised to do a pay-per-drive - I will borrow some of the University kits for this.
If anyone wants to come along we could do some demonstration fights as well.
If you want to subject your robot to pay-per-drive it sure is a good way to find any weaknesses in it!
Beer and barbeque available (is that enough to persuade you lot?)

I'm not sure about running an AWS at a fete. An AWS these days takes longer than most school fetes run for! Our school fete takes place on the field, but the halls are reserved for the stalls in case of bad weather (never had any yet!). I think trying to run a full AWS with loads of little kids expecting to be entertained might turn into a bit of a nightmare!

How about running the AWS on the Sunday, with either fete as a warm-up / social event / whatever you want beforehand? Might make it a bit more worthwhile for those that have to travel...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, although I'd have to find somewhere to hire on a Sunday - not always the easiest. Would people be up for a 2 day 'event'?
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Not tryna be awkward or anything, but am really banking on making this one, and the 2nd of July is about the ONLY day you couldve picked where I'm booked up (gotta go to some wedding :( )
Any other possible dates, or am I gonna have to miss out again?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39