Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

Re: Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Post by LimaHotel »

Really looking forwards to the video! And glad to rest my voice! :lol:
I hadn't expected to wind up judging or calling - I'm glad I did though! Much fun was had. A HUGE thank you to Chris, and I look forwards to playing with that Awescv4!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

So, it's the morning after the day before.

I, for some reason, have been basically unable to sleep (I've had maybe 6 hours if I'm lucky - the flat hasn't dropped below 20C all night).

First up, thank you to everyone who came. I can put on all the events in the world - and they would be nothing without you, the teams that turn up time after time to support me.

To those volunteers who turn up early, leave late, and get essentially nothing for it, other than a little bit of thanks - thank you.

Thank you also to all of you who generously donate your money which helps us run these events - whether that is via the donations bucket or the purchase of AWESCs. Alas, this time, we nowhere near covered costs, thanks to a significantly higher than usual insurance premium. If anyone would like to donate and hasn't already, please PM me for a Paypal address you can send donations to - all greatfully recieved.

The variety of robots was fantastic to watch, and for it to go to such a dramatic final was incredible. Hopefully the results will be on Antlog within a couple of days, but, and I hope you'll all agree, a very worthy, and creative winner this time around - Team Zero and RBMK.

It is our intent to return to Dunchurch at the end of June 2020 for another Antweight event - hopefully an AWS - but I am looking at options to reduce my costs so these events don't cost me several hundred pounds a time (as this one did - and first time it has as well) to run. This may involve a slight admin restructuring on my side, but hopefully will result in no significantly visible changes elsewhere.

Separately I am also looking at ways to cope with the sheer quantity of robots you guys are building - we clearly need ways to destroy more of them. There are only a handful of options, and I'll start another thread on those shortly and I am open to the community's input.
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Thanks for putting on another fantastic event Chris. You guys did a great job, especially considering how there were significantly more bots than what we're used to. It was also good to see such a unique & awesome machine win too, fully deserved & proves that creativity can still pay off in this sport.
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Thank you very much Chris for hosting again - it was an amazing day!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Who won?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Thanks to Chris and his team for a great event as usual.
I had a great time and can't quite believe how you managed to get through all those fights so smoothly.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Many thanks to Chris and all the other helpers for yet another fantastic event. Completing a double elimination event with 123 robots in one day is no mean feat.

For those that don't want to know the results look away now.....

1st - RBMK
2nd - Trigger
3rd - Valkyrie
4th - Bzroink
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Great job from Chris and all associates for running a brilliant, record breaking event!

Congratulations to George for winning with such a unique design, well deserved!

Big shout to Leo for making the final; I built his first robots and he’s just gotten better and better over the years, building his own and getting so close to the trophy!

Mine was a mixed bag; Bulletproof sucked, Stewie suffered a random fault, but Baphomet exceeded my expectations, just a bit annoying getting jammed in a wall in the first fight!

See y’all in Sheffield!
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

More thoughts after some sleep

@ Dave. Baphomet was one of my aforementioned new favs to look out for. That and Kyro's Mantis Grappler joined my list of admiration.

I'm glad George got his title. That team of ants definitely deserves one. What a showing by Trigger too though! When was the last time three spinners took the top 3 places at 150g? Not in the couple years that I've been watching the vids and attending the odd event.

Teams Oink gets a shout out for those bots being so crazy resilient. Take a bow sir. I'm used to seeing your family's bots dominate the later round fights, not take those kind of beatings but haha what a show. They. Just. Keep. Going. And the flipper dual between (i think) Brzoink and ICBINS was a hectic one too.

My own bots ehhhh not my best event so far but I did get a couple wins. The bots were basically reentered from the last event I made it to with hasty patched up repairs and stuff so it went about as it should. Proper rebuilds are now necessary haha.

It was a blast. Yeah perhaps it's pushing the tournament format to its limits with the number of bots and I don't envy you committee folks coming up with the solutions cause I'm no logistitian, but hey! It's a nice problem to have eh? It's so cool that the events are so popular and the 150g weight class seems to be thriving so much.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

thanks so much to chris and team for running such a great event!

it was our first ever event and a brilliant one, loved the fights, loved the people there, loved the bots!
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)