Ant Freeze 6 - 2/2/19 - * Updated * Details & Signup

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Ant Freeze 6 - 2/2/19 - * Updated * Details & Signup

Post by peterwaller »

Great event as usual even though I didn't do very well.
I always enjoy it as there is a bit more variety than just full combat and more time to chat and see what other people are building.
limpet

Post by limpet »

A big thanks to everyone who came, the effort put in by everyone was amazing. I really need help getting antlog 3 to work for the next one, also any feedback Improvements, new games etc is most welcome. I was talking with someone (sorry I’ve forgotten who) about a queen ant game that sounded very good. Tag team Nuts could feature next time :)
Ps Ant Freeze 7 may be later this year if possible.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Another later in the year would be amazing.

Only real feedback request I got would probably already be fixed if you got antlog going and that's being able to find out your upcoming opponents a bit quicker once the groups are drawn. Otherwise the whole thing is a good time and kudos to you and the family.

Who emerged victorious from the final rounds?

Also I forgot to give you a donation while I was there and I meant to. You got a PayPal email I can send one to?
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Ant Freeze was great fun, thanks for hosting. Looking forward to the next one.

Since we were short on time & you have several ideas for mini-games maybe you could have a second arena for the games? If you imposed a no spinner rule for the games you probably wouldn't need to do much work for it since I noticed you already had an arena floor for the nuts game.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Thanks for a great event! Really enjoyed it, and was very glad of the extra time for signing in.

I also forgot to donate, but would like to send moolah somehow. I guess I could IOU until #7? :)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Thanks to John & Family for a great event, I enjoyed it even though the travel was a nightmare (this was partly my fault, partly the weather, not the location!)

It was very well run and I enjoyed nuts. I understand the decision to delay the main competition until later - even though it meant an overrun.

I would personally find it a lot easier to be ready if we had some screen somewhere with the upcoming fights listed - I notice that the venue does have a large screen and projector - perhaps if Antlog is working, then we can get that going next time?

The arena is good, I was worried that it would be a little on the small side / too many drop-offs - but it seems about right. (Maybe it needs a few repairs now though)

I loved the other robots, especially Shakey's beans can, and the walker-spinner.

Somehow I managed to get drawn against Pete's Anticyclone *again* - but at least I beat it again.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Had great fun at the event even including the unorthodox ending. I'll need gloves if we do that again, could barely feel my hands to drive!

MarkR wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 am I loved the other robots, especially Shakey's beans can, and the walker-spinner.
That wasn't me. :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks very much to John and family for another great event. :D

For those who missed it, the result of the final round was:

1st - Potential Uplift
2nd - Doktor Power 9 Stretch
3rd - Plan B

Really great seeing and chatting to you all again. Looking forward to the next one.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Along with everyone else, thanks to John and family for their hospitality and a very enjoyable tournament.

Nuts was very entertaining and the artic conditions for the final round added a different dimension!

It is amazing to see the inventiveness and ingenuity of all roboteers in their designs and builds!

Thanks again
Anthony & G
Team-G
limpet

Post by limpet »

Firstly any donations please Paypal as a gift to j.denny@live.co.uk , thanks.
This year I had to pay for the room hire and take out insurance to cover it all, so it all helps.

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ll take it all onboard and see what can be done.
I’m still trying and failing with Antlog 3, struggling with setting up xxamp and a database etc.

There was a projector there but they wouldn’t let me use it this time, also someone said they might be able to bring one next time so thanks for that. I fancy buying one myself but I fancy buying a lot of things and can’t get them all :)

A second arena sounds good but in practice I think it might be too much of a distraction with people wanting to enter games and the tournament.
One idea is to reduce team size for the tournament if necessary. The stricter timing this year will help give an idea of how long a tournament is going to take and I’ll have a look into it.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies