Robodojo Antweight/Beetleweight event 15th July Leeds

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

eventorizonian

Robodojo Antweight/Beetleweight event 15th July Leeds

Post by eventorizonian »

Robodojo Announcemt

Sunday 15th July 2018 will see the founding of Robodojo UK.

Based in Yorkshire it will be an academy and club, where enthusiasts can develop the craft of robotic combat and meet like-minded friends. The development of other robotic sports will be encouraged, as will all the relevant skills such as; prototyping, electronics, mechanics, coding, CAD,CAM, 3D Printing and more.

The word Do jo derives from the Japanese words dō meaning Way, and jō meaning place. So Robodojo is intended as a home for the 'Way of the Robot'.

The first event will feature two main competitions at Antweight and Beetleweight. But don't worry, if you don't have robot built yet there will be a Sumo competition for K’nex based machines with all the materials available on the day, though places will be limited to 10 teams.

Of particular importance will be a short meeting on the day where we will outline our vision of the way forward for Robodojo and ask for further input. We intend to have a spinner capable Featherweight arena operating in the Autumn which will allow us to run a series of tournaments at Featherweight, Beetleweight and Antweight over the course of year. There will also be regular 'whiteboard'/development events; held during the day and in evenings, to allow teams to gain experience before heading into the arena proper.

Though initially led by Team Conker it is intended that Robodojo will be a separate society associated with the FRA but managed by members.
Signups for the inaugural event will be available shortly. The event will be held at KB Technologies Ltd Sherburn Industrial estate LS25 6NS. Sherburn train station is 5 minutes’ walk, By car Robodojo is 5 minutes from the A1/M62 junction, less than an hour from Sheffield and Hull, just over an hour from Nottingham, an hour and a quarter from Manchester, an hour and a half from Newcastle and less than 2 hours from Birmingham and Liverpool.

For those coming from further afield a quick look on Airbnb will show a range of cheap accommodation from less than £20 per night.

We regret that because the event will be taking place in part of a CNC machine shop the venue is not currently suitable for under 14s, those under 16 years of age will need to be accompanied by an adult.

The Beetle and Antweight events will be held under slightly modified versions of the AWS and FRA rules which reflect both recent practice at live events and our own constraints.

Finally If you have a Featherweight you'd like to test or demo then you are welcome to bring it along. Our Beetleweight arena is built to Featherweight specifications (apart from dimensions) and was used in the opening sequence of Robot Wars series 8 for a demonstration of the art of TV destruction by Conker 3.

Looking forward to many great days roboteering.
Team Conker
Paulmchurd

Re: Robodojo Antweight/Beetleweight event 15th July Leeds

Post by Paulmchurd »

Only a 30minute drive away for me. Unfortunately I can’t make this date 😫 are you planning on making monthly meets? I’m keen for this.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Yay! More northern meets. :D

Sounds good, but have no idea if I can make it or not. Will certainly try.

Maybe I can drop the wife and kid off at the sculpture park while I scoot off with the bots. :roll:
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

sounds good. ant weights and beetles. i will probably come for ants if i don't get a beetle ready.
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Nice, this is pretty close to me, will have to keep my calendar clear for this!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

What are times for this event please?

Thanks