AWS56 - Bristol

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

DieGracefullyRobotics

AWS56 - Bristol

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Hi everyone.
For those who don't know me, I'm Dave, I did a lot of ant competitions up until about a year ago then went off to try my hand at some TV show...can't remember what it was called...anyway!

My and my heavyweight team would like to put in a bid to host AWS56 at the end of the year. I know AWS55 is barely a thing right now but you can never plan too early. It'll be me and my guys Joe Brown (who some of you may know from Bristol beetles and antweights) and Craig Croucher (who some of you may know because he's Craig Croucher). We're looking at a venue in Bristol and I'm thinking about roping in Rory and Alex to maybe do a new arena too (though they haven't been told that yet). I've run 2 AWS's before, been to loads, and the other two host other things so we'd like to go for it bar any major objections to me.

Let me know if you're happy to come and what dates you can/can't do around the sort of Sept-November end of the year and we'll try get the ball rolling early.

Cheers.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
GeorgeR

Re: AWS56 - Bristol

Post by GeorgeR »

Sounds good, I'll definitely be there.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I am keen for this. I've not been able to make any meets so far. This one is so far in advance I can make sure I can attend.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

September-ish would probably be preferred as I think Chris Ryu (AKA atomclub) and I are quite probably co-hosting AWS57 on 24th November (exact details not yet sorted - I need to go and meet with Chris at some point). I think Dave W was originally planning on running AWS56 when we had the big long thread about it all in January, but don't let that stop you - key thing would be to keep everyone in the loop.

Bonus points are available for it being 29th/30th September (as that's the only weekend I can currently make work in my diary due to other events). If you'd like my Antlog setup (inc touchscreen for judges, etc) it'll need to be a weekend I'm available.
DieGracefullyRobotics

Only just seen that thread. There are normally 3 AWSs a year, an early, a mid and a late. One in September and one in November seems a bit close. And we always used to have it that the same person wouldn't host 2 in a row to share things about a bit.
I'll give Dave a buzz, see if he has any concrete plans or still wants to do it. If he's already registered interest then he should get first call.
Dave
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

When Dave and I discussed, I think we were aiming for 4 total, 1 per quarter. If November goes ahead (and I think that's likely), yes, they would be a bit close together but Chris R can't move his date (for various reasons).

The only reason Chris R and I would be working together is because I've run an AWS before and he hasn't (similar to when Dave helped me run my first one!).

Do not let that stop you running September if Dave is happy to let you! More events is not necessarily a bad thing!
DieGracefullyRobotics

The reason for 3 AWSs a year was always so that the people who couldn't turn up every other weekend for something could still make it to the big competitions. That's why side events such as Ant Freeze, Reading Robot Club and the Antweight Open sprang up, to allow for some more relaxed, less essential events between the major ones for people who could make it and to fill in the gaps between the major competitions.
If there are already concrete plans in place then we'll withdraw our offer. I just couldn't see any firm discussion on here beyond the June one so thought we'd bid for it early.
Dave
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Will leave it between you and Dave W to decide - certainly don't want to stop people running events!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Would be looking to make Bristol; should be possible for us. Sounds excellent Dave.

Regarding AWS 57, I thought there were complications there. The Dorset Robot Championships are advertised for 23rd - 25th November so it looks like the 24th would fall into the 'Public Event' category on the site which means it cannot be an AWS. It is listed as a Dorset Robot Championships event.

An AWS event in my opinion should be run in the true spirit of an AWS (a dedicated event, wholly run by members of the community, no ties to any other competition or additional branding, voluntary donation on entry etc). It should be standalone from any other branding.

If the AWS is going to be run during the Dorset Robot Championships period, I would propose that the website would be modified to make it clear that day 2 of the 3 day period is not a Dorset Robot Championships event but an AWS event instead and the general manner of organisation be separate from the registration for the other two days of the Dorset Robot Championships and moved onto AntLog (the community sign up platform).
DieGracefullyRobotics

I wholeheartedly agree. Having other events throughout the year is great but an AWS should be a stand-alone event arranged and agreed upon by the community as a collective.
I've spoken to Chris from Atom Club a few times, he's a great guy with great facilities but it seems like he wants to run a sort of robot themed weekend for people to come and watch and interact with, which isn't the ideal environment for an official tournament. It'd be better for everyone involved and everyone going if the antweight section was run much more casually if that was the case.
Or have the Saturday exclusively set aside for it, that'd work too. I'm not saying he shouldn't run it, we just need more detail on what the plans are.
Dave