AWS56 - Bristol

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: AWS56 - Bristol

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Right then.
Away from annoying everyone in the rule debates, some news!
Me and my team have had a chat and we're suggesting October 13th as the date for the final AWS of the year, as run by us, for the following reasons.
Sept 1st - busy time for schools, particularly Craig who is a teacher and will have start of term stresses.
Sept 8th - Joe is running a beetleweight event.
Sept 15th - Extreme Robots Colchester.
Sept 22nd-Oct 5th - Joe is on holiday.
Oct 6th - European beetleweight championships.
And I have a wedding to go to in the last weeks of Oct.

So, October 13th then. That still gives anyone wanting to attend the Dorset open weekend (proposed for 24th Nov) plenty of time to get ready for that afterwards too.

Hopefully that'll be good for as many people as possible. Once we get the OK to set the date we won't be changing it, so people would be free to get organised well in advance too.
Everyone happy enough?
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

October 13th would be OK for us. Sounds perfect and loads of time for everyone to get arrangements sorted. :D
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Sounds good to me, and thanks again for announcing it in such good time.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
sgtbeardy

Post by sgtbeardy »

Yup, I can be there on that date! :)
Team Beardy Bots: Last Minute, Set Myself on Firestorm, Almost Certainly Balanced, Yin and Yang.
Quantax-Dynamics

Post by Quantax-Dynamics »

I'll hopefully have a real robot by then!
DieGracefullyRobotics

Quick update, crew.

Date set. Joe is handling venue booking. We intend to have it all sorted and concreted in by the time the next AWS happens in June but it's definitely going to be Bristol-based.

We want to attempt to run a proper, double-elimination competition for both fleaweights and nanoweights alongside the main AWS. AWS in Peter's arena (as long as he's free to attend) and the side competitions in the Bristol arena (which Joe says might be a little shoddy for the main comp but will be fine for the smaller ones). Fleas will compete in the arena as normal then an extra platform will be placed in to run nanos on (similar to previous events).

As we will be running all competitions simultaneously we will be implementing a rule that says no flea or nano taking part in the AWS as part of a clusterbot will be allowed to run in the other comps - one or the other. Hopefully the reasons for this are obvious and we're giving teams more than enough time to get robots ready for each comp they want to participate in.

That's probably it until the after the AWS in June for now. Once that's been run we'll open sign-ups and get a new, official thread going but until then I intend to relax and look forward to June before cracking on with ours.

Cheers. Dave.
Dave
TeamPanoramic

Post by TeamPanoramic »

If the date is October 13th sadly I'm very likely to not make it to this one. Could be filming for an event on that weekend.
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

October 13th is doable. Just close to my birthday. I will try and get there.
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Assuming permission from the boss, I shall be there!
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
DieGracefullyRobotics

Hi all.
Due to personal circumstances it looks like I'm going to have to step away from robots for a fair bit. Finding the money and headspace for it is going to be very difficult for me for at least the rest of the year. It looks like it'll be best if I pull out of hosting this next event too. I know I committed to it and it sucks to go back on it but it can't be helped unfortunately.
Can anyone else volunteer for the end of year event? It doesn't have to be on the date we selected. And I guess 3/4 months notice is about regular anyway. Hopefully someone else can pick up in my error.
My sincerest apologies.
Dave.
Dave