AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Post by peterwaller »

Great event at a really good venue thanks to Chris and the team.
The organisation was very slick to manage to get through all the fights with almost 100 robots and still finished by 5.00pm.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Thank you, thank you, and thank you all again.

A phenomenal display of sportsmanship across the board and I don't think anyone went home in too many pieces.....

In Harry's absence Brad (aka Techie) stepped up to the plate with his Go-pro like cameras and we should have some glorious 60 frames-per-second video coming in the near future - he's got rather a lot of editing work to do though, so don't come chasing after him - it'll be ready when it's ready.

Congratulations to Shakey for taking top spot this time - but really well done to those who got to the last 16 stage for being such a variety of robots.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

That was a great day. Kudos and congrats to Chris and all his team it was a tight ship. And so many fantastic bots. I even got the first couple of wins of my roboting career :)

So many awesome and terrifying robots at the top of the field. It was interesting to finally see what happens to my construction when exposed to a nasty spinner or two.
Last edited by Derek Dudge on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
samSpinCrazy

Post by samSpinCrazy »

Thank you for a great event it was my first ant weight fighting all 3 of us really enjoyed the atmosphere of the event cant wait for the next one
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Thanks for organising this Chris, had a great time attending my first antweight event!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Great job Chris and others - the event was very slick, I'm impressed how well it ran. There were a lot of battles to get through.

It was my first time and my robot wasn't very good (she won more than I expected actually) but it was still fun. Also the melee was a good laugh.

We saw some incredible battles, there was an epic spinner-on-spinner right near the end (I think it might have been Valkyrie vs Test Robot Please Ignore) which was very closely matched and very violent!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Well done Alex for (yet another!) win :)
I have the results from Chris but they won't be on AntLog until later in the week. I'm away from home currently and uploading results is not something I want to do on my phone and dodgy WiFi :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Yesterday in a few numbers:
  • 98 robots
  • 44 teams
  • 194 battles
  • 2 damaged lipos
  • At least 2 Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly events
  • 63GB of video footage
  • One very tired Chris
Gary - thanks for acknowledging the results file - Shakey fought hard for the win - nobody made it an easy ride through for him!

One of the Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly events (as captured by the arena camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZzLf-gpdA

I will be looking at putting in a booking for June 29th 2019 for an event at Dunchurch again. I feel it worked well as a central venue for all of us and the general feedback I received was positive, both from yourselves, the teams, and the venue trustees. Whether it is an AWS we will have the discussion about later in the year.

I would ask that whatever feedback you have - positive, negative, whatever, post it here, PM me, email me on chris (at) arc-robotics.org.uk or message me on Facebook and I will get it added to my The Good/The Bad/The Ugly list.
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

I had a great time yesterday, even though I wasn't competing! It was nice to talk to some of the roboteers and I've really been bitten by the bug and can't wait to build my own and compete in Bristol in October! Thank you Chris and all for organising such a great event.

I caught some of the fights on video, I'll probably post them into the Antweight Combat Robots group on Facebook.

See you at AWS 56!
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
Smillard

Post by Smillard »

Great event, well organised and the venue was spot on.

Thanks to everyone involved. Looking forward to the next event