New Scientist Live 2018 London

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

atomclub

New Scientist Live 2018 London

Post by atomclub »

Me again - who is this new guy with all the posts? Sorry...

We (Dorset Science & Tech Centre) have a stand booked at NS Live in September (London Excel Centre) and we always lay on an activity. Last year it was the Mission to Mars simulator.

It just crossed my mind that we could probably get some extra space to have an arena set up and let people try the hobby. Maybe let them build their own cardboard pushers too. I know the NSL team very well, so could probably get the space FOC or cheap and pay for it with donations at the event as long as I get the ball rolling asap.

We'd need some volunteers though - would any of you be interested? I don't need a definite yes, just potential at this stage to gauge the community.

More info: https://live.newscientist.com/
Dorset Science & Tech Centre
Dorset Robot Championships November 2018: http://dorsetrobots.co.uk
Quantax-Dynamics

Re: New Scientist Live 2018 London

Post by Quantax-Dynamics »

I would definitely be interested in helping out and demonstrating some battling. :)
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

It's a fair way off but if the dates work out then I'd happily volunteer, it sounds like a good venture. Were you looking for resources as well (arena, demo bots etc.) or just the man hours?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Can't promise the Thursday or Friday (depends on where I am with work), but would definitely do Sat + Sun. It's an Extreme Robots Weekend AND a Robots Live weekend. That has potential to take a fair chunk of the community - but I think you could still do it.
atomclub

Post by atomclub »

Thanks for the speedy response!
bitternboy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm It's a fair way off but if the dates work out then I'd happily volunteer, it sounds like a good venture. Were you looking for resources as well (arena, demo bots etc.) or just the man hours?
We'll definitely need some bots, but we'd take our arena up in the van with our other stand's furniture the day before, so that would be all set up.

Ok, well I'll call them tomorrow and put the feelers out. It may mean moving our stand from the Space zone, to the Technology or Engineering one, but I'm cool with that as our product range is quite diverse.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Would there be scope to claim back travel costs etc. from New Scientist Live?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
atomclub

Post by atomclub »

bitternboy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 pm Would there be scope to claim back travel costs etc. from New Scientist Live?
At this stage I think it'll be most likely that any expense cover would have to come from us (Atom Club) rather than NSL, so we'd have a donation box or charge a small participation fee to cover as much of our costs as possible and then share out any excess.

Exhibitor passes would be provided of course and it's an amazing event to attend.

I have also put a proposal for this to be part of the NSL content which would negate the stand fee and maybe allow for direct expense claims. We'll just have to see what they say to that one.
atomclub

Post by atomclub »

Update on this idea: Turns out they were already in talks with 'another party' about having a large arena at the event this year..!

The costs for that are very high, so they're not sure if it'll go ahead. They've asked me to talk with them again in March to explore further if the other option doesn't pan out.

I'll keep you informed...