Potential Exeter Antweight Event

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rocketeer13

Potential Exeter Antweight Event

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Out of curiousity, I thought I'd make some inquiries at my college to see if they would be interested in hosting an Antweight event; the answer - provisionally - seems positive, but they would like to get an idea of how many people would be interested.
So even though I've got no experience at this, and haven't even been to an AWS, what do you all think about this as an option?

Exeter College is literally about 5 minutes walk from the main train station of the area, Exeter St Davids, and the campus is already open on Saturdays between 9 and 5, so they wouldn't be specially opening the buildings for our benefit. Once I have an idea of numbers, I should have more of an idea about feasability.

So, with dates open to discussion, who would be interested?
Last edited by Rocketeer13 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
peterwaller

Re: Potential Exeter Antweight Event?

Post by peterwaller »

I afraid that's a bit far for me 180 miles and over 3 hours each way.
Rapidrory

Re: Potential Exeter Antweight Event

Post by Rapidrory »

Exeter works for me! But might be a bit far away for everyone else
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Exeter sounds good to me. Although if Pete can't make it you might have to find an arena somehow.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I can collect arenas from people if need be, I don’t mind the distance but it may be a bit far for some folks (Pete’s been to pretty much every aws since he began, be a shame for him to miss out).
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My arena won't fit into many cars I selected the Yeti because of the wide space and made the arena as big as would just fit in.
My previous car was a Focus like Dave's and it wouldn't go in that.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

GeorgeR wrote:Exeter sounds good to me. Although if Pete can't make it you might have to find an arena somehow.
Yeah, I had noticed that. If anyone has an arena, or any suggestions, I'm open to them!
razerdave wrote:I can collect arenas from people if need be, I don’t mind the distance but it may be a bit far for some folks (Pete’s been to pretty much every aws since he began, be a shame for him to miss out).
Thanks Dave, good idea! If this went ahead, would you want to make it an official AWS?

Thank you everyone for your interest! I've had a few comments on the URW facebook post as well, so based on that, I'm currently drafting an email to the relevant people, so I should have a more solid answer (and hopefully a date) soon! As I said earlier, it will probably take place on a Saturday, at some point in the new year, so if there are any dates anyone wants me to avoid specifically, please let me know. :)
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

We definitely wouldn't be able to make it and I doubt most of the Antweight community would be able to either; there is a good reason why events are mostly held mainly in the centre of the country. :D

It's really great that you are proposing a robot event for roboteers who are more local to you. However, most of the frequent Antweight roboteers would not be able to make the event without a serious (if not impossible) investment in time, travel costs, hotel costs etc.

Therefore, I suggest this event should not be made an official AWS.

An AWS needs to be in a location where the majority of people can travel to (AWS 53 Southampton for example had good turnout as did events in Basingstoke, Reading, Coventry and so on) as competition becomes restricted in places which are out of reach for some of the major roboteers.
Mcmad

Post by Mcmad »

You have an odd idea of where the middle of the ciutry is if Southampton qualifies :o :roll: