Antweight World Series 53 - University of Southampton

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

cmalton

Re: Antweight World Series 53 - University of Southampton

Post by cmalton »

I have *literally* just had it pointed out to me that the postcode and the local map seemingly bear no resemblence to each other.....
This is a part fail on my part, and part fail on the University for providing the wrong address, which I blindly copy-pasted.

A *sensible* postcode that will get you in vaguely the right place is SO16 7QF.

Apologies for this last minute update.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

All settled in at the hotel (after a minor fire alarm scare!) and very much looking forward to tomorrow - it's been far too long and I want to catch up with people :) Jigsaw is ready, and Chickens From Outer Space just needs, erm, chickens (so all of it really), but nothing that can't be fixed.

Me and Tracy will try and get there before 10, which means we'll probably be outside at 8 waiting for things to open :P Good luck everyone, and travel safely tomorrow morning!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

For people wanting to view the event Antlog: http://antlog.arc-robotics.org.uk (live from about 08:30 tomorrow morning). This is available over mobile internet access and is reliant on the venue's internet connection working for it to work.

If you have a tablet and want the now/next display that's available at http://antlog.arc-robotics.org.uk/nownext/ (again from 08:30 tomorrow morning).
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

Great event, Chris did great job, well done to the other helpers!

Having now been involved with my first AWS comp I enjoyed it very much. The 25 way was a great laugh! Well done to the winner's
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes a great event and a great venue thanks to Chris and Co for all the hard work.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

First of all, THANK YOU.

You guys were nothing short of fantastic. Great sportsmanship, fantastic fights and I'm sure Harry will be along shortly with the footage (please give him some time!).

I am, quite frankly, shattered and am struggling to write this post.

Some key people, who, without them, this would never have happened:
- Dave Weston - Thank you for suggesting I host - while I may have looked like I was rather stressed, I stayed relatively calm throughout.
- Pete Waller - Thank you for providing an arena (and allowing it to get trashed a bit...)
- Kier and Tom from the University of Southampton RoboSoc - without them, we would never have had that venue.
- Shakey - Thanks for a last-minute cube provision after yours truly failed at the machine shop.
- Rachel Wootton at the University of Southampton - Rachel has been our contact at the University who has basically arranged for everything from building security & access, through to cleaners to come and clean up after you guys (although I must say you left the room pretty damn clean!).
- Russell - Our arena manager today - pretty much stepped straight into the role with next to no notice. Again, fantastic work.

I will get the Antlog database over to Gary to update the main Antlog database in due course (read I'll send it when I'm less tired).

Finally, congratulations to our new AWS champion: Bzwroink!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

What an awesome event! It was lovely to finally see everyone again and get back to doing AWS after my operation. Well done to everyone involved with running the event and well done to the oink team for winning. You really deserved it. :-)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

Will there be a link here posted when the video of the comp has been uploaded to youtube?
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Once Harry has finished it, yes. I suspect this will take a couple of days, but as soon as it's done - either he or I will post here.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks very much to all for an excellent event. Really impressed with the organisation, thought Chris and team were excellent. It was very smoothly run, the venue was great and there was a lot of energy from all involved.

Also, it was great to see how effective AntLog is when it's used. The fights were organised and well spaced out. People were well prepared for their fights, knowing about who they were fighting and when long before the fight actually came up, something which the paper sheet system makes difficult. Organisers of events definitely need to standardise on AntLog 3 as it is clearly the only way forward with so many machines in the competition.

Once again, great job, I really hope you can run another event soon! :D