AWS 53?

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

AWS 53?

Post by Hogi »

Hi everyone, its looking increasingly unlikely that we'll be able to do an event this year due to the hall undergoing works. Is anyone else able to do the autumn/winter AWS this year? It would be a shame not to have one.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Garfie489

Re: AWS 53?

Post by Garfie489 »

I need to wait until after the Greenwich September Heavyweight/Featherweight event before i can really open up any discussions. Would most likely be Mid November if i can organise anything anyway.
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Dave Weston and I are in talks about a situation where I provide venue and things like power, tables, etc and the people who've run AWSes before provide the event-running skills. Exact details TBC and am currently waiting on having confirmed access to a venue and dates that work for Dave and I before we agree anything.

If it happens - apologies in advance for location as it will likely be Southampton.....
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Sounds good, I hope it works out. No need to apologise for the location, events will always be further for some people than others, and it's not like Southampton is the middle of nowhere anyway.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Sounds great. Look forward to hearing more soon!
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

A 2-3 hour drive leaving at 6am :-? I think it's possible Just need something to entertain my step-dad while we are there so he's not bored and convince him to take me and Jessica to it.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Killer-Wolf (2.0), Bunny-Ears (1.5), Blue-Terror (CAD).
Featherweights:
CSB 1 (retired) CSB 2 (under construction).
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Yeah, Southampton sounds pretty good to me. Not too far. Hopefully I'll have my ant ready by then!! :D
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

A southampton AWS would be great. If theres anything I can do to help, let me know. :-)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Don't get too excited just yet.... I've got to do some fairly hefty legwork to persuade the University first (although this hasn't proved too difficult thus far, I'm expecting resistance from various people). That said, if I can get something sorted through their "outreach" team I think there's scope to make it work.

The fundamental issue (and this is all it boils down to) is not whether somebody has to pay for the venue, but who is going to pay for it. As long as I can find somebody in the University prepared to spend a couple of hundred quid of a budget somewhere (and that's sadly what it is), we've got a venue. I'm already speaking to the right people (that is, people who tend to have "spare budget" at the end of a year), and once we've got that sorted we should be OK. If I were trying to do this in, say, June/July I'd probably have people desperate to spend the money. Start of term is a bit harder.

I think it can be done - but as with all things involving an organisation the size of the University of Southampton, things take longer than they probably should. I am exploring several other options as well.

I can just be thankful I'm not trying to get anything "bigger" than Ants past them....

As a general heads up - it is likely to be easier for me to get a Saturday than a Sunday.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thats ok, most AWS events are on Saturdays. Hopefully it all goes well. :-)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights