University of Greenwich Open day - Saturday July 1st

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Occashokka

Re: University of Greenwich Open day - Saturday July 1st

Post by Occashokka »

You can bring is many spares as you can make basically but ive been where my only tools and spares have been big scissors screwdrivers polycarb and tape.
There is usually an online registration that will be linked when everything is finalised
Last edited by Occashokka on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I would be happy to use Andrew's arena as he is closer, though I would probably bring mine anyway but leave it in the car as a spare, in case of any unforeseen problems.
I think it is something to do with my age I tend to worry that a whole event could have to be abandoned just because the person bringing the arena broke down or worse. :roll:
Puddle

Post by Puddle »

Ok thanks Occa
Harry
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Just thought to give an update as to whats currently going on.

The University naturally has several departments which all need to co-ordinate together for open days like this and unfortunately not all of them are finalised atm.

What this means is the exact location within the University is still unknown, and thus i cant do any of the requirements to get the competition finalised (Risk assessments, ect).

Thus atm the event is not formally confirmed, though the upper management remains highly interested. Im also forwarding them onto Shakey to discuss how the tournament will hopefully work, as in terms of structure and requirements ect (effectively the Uni wants a single point of contact as they dont know much about these events) - however ill stress the format will be in the hands of this community.

Thus atm we are still getting there, but not getting anywhere at all atm - just dont want to leave people in the dark and hopefully soon everything will be rubber stamped and i can actually open sign-ups.
patlinnett

Post by patlinnett »

Is there any more news? I'll need to book time off work relatively soon if I've any chance of attending.
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

patlinnett wrote:Is there any more news? I'll need to book time off work relatively soon if I've any chance of attending.
At the moment the University has told me what floor their planning for the whole event to be on, and is trying to organise for us to have an entire lecture room. I think thats the main difficulty atm because other departments havnt finalised what space they will be requiring.

The University seems very excited about it, and i doubt they will go back on it now as i have the support of the top management - however naturally i dont want to tell you guys to book time off ect until its totally set in stone. Ill send an email if i havnt heard anything back by the end of this week - unfortunately public institutions can be quite slow :P
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Just out of interest, has anyone got a copy of a risk assessment for an AWS i can borrow?

Written up my own version but it doesnt seem that long - want to check if theres anything ive missed out.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

There's not too much to list, so you're probably not far off :)
Here's what we did for Brighton Mini-MakerFaire:

Hazard: Sharp edges/points
Who: Robot builders
Risk: Cut hand whilst handling robots
Control Measures: All sharp edges/points to be covered when robots are out of the arena

Hazard: Spinning weapons, sharp edges, shrapnel
Who: Robot builders, visitors
Risk: Cuts from spinning weapons of flying shrapnel
Control Measures: Spinning weapons only to be operated in a fully-enclosed arena

Hazard: Electricity
Who: Robot builders
Risk: Electric shock
Control Measures: All mains powered equipment is commercially produced and meets relevant safety standards

You might also want to add something about batteries, since there is a fire/smoke/heat hazard but a LiPo sack will take care of any issue.

Hope this helps
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Yeh thats brilliant thanks.

Was just looking at mine and considering its length and the dangers i usually associate with Robotic combat - thought it should be more than a page :P

Got a few additionals, with regards to soldering irons, robot activation ect. But generally if thats all you need then i should be ok :)
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Hey Everyone.

I'm working in Cornwall atm so I'll need to wait till i get to the hotel room tonight to make a post with all the information.

However we now finally have a room booked and thus I can now confirm the event with absolute certainty :)

I'm really, really sorry I couldn't do this earlier - but being a University they do take quote a while to get things in places, aswell as the risk of "It's not confirmed till it's confirmed". I really hope it's not too late for everyone, however I'll be providing more information tonight once I have my laptop