University of Greenwich Open day - Saturday July 1st

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Garfie489

University of Greenwich Open day - Saturday July 1st

Post by Garfie489 »

Hey all,

Ive seen the recent posts about people looking for a venue to host an AWS and the problems people are having in finding somewhere suitable. Thus ive put the problem to my University, which is currently doing alot of robot programs itself through Robot Wars (with Trolley Rage) aswell as school projects where they are working with local schools to build over 20 featherweights from kits ive designed.

The head of the University thinks hosting an Antweight competition during an open day would be a fantastic idea, and allow us to make a centrepiece for a potential display to all the robotics projects going on at the University. Naturally this is something that may work for both parties, as Greenwich wants to make a big push to get more students into robotics - whilst roboteers need somewhere to place down an arena.

Thus before making any detailed plans with the University i thought to ask everyone here - would you want this. The Uni will be able to provide a hall with Wifi and plenty of space in order for an AWS to be run just like it used to be at Reading, but in a new home. We could have a live stream, and an audience - whilst still having a reserved pit space ect.

As ive only been involved a short time, i dont want to just go ahead without seeing what the support from the community would be like. Potentially if successful, this could become a regular thing which may solve all venue issues the AW scene currently has. So if people like this idea and are willing to get behind it, ill talk to the relevant people at the Uni and get it sorted - the only thing we need is an arena, and the roboteers. Remember ive made no promises to the Uni, ive decided to come to you guys first.

So do people think this is a good idea? - its the best i can do to help which benefits all parties involved. If so ill go and make the arrangements.
peterwaller

Re: University of Greenwich Open day - Saturday July 1st

Post by peterwaller »

This sounds like a good opportunity to find replacement for Reading which was a good venue.
My only reservation would be the location, I am assuming in the centre of London, if I had to bring the arena but that is not a deal breaker.
Actually looking on their site they are talking of robotwars at their Medway campus which looks a whole lot easier to get to.
What do other people think.
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Yes its at Medway, just to confirm the location itd be in Chatham ME4 4TB.

Whilst i havent confirmed details yet, itd likely go in the same place the Extreme Robots Heavyweight Arena gets set up in every september.

Theres a premier Inn within walking distance, aswell as a shopping center across the road with Pizza Hut ect aswell if that helps anyone.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Sounds like it could be good, I'm not familiar with the venue but we normally don't need much.

As long as organisation of the tournament itself stays with the roboteers I can see it working.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

I havnt discussed details yet, but i imagine ill be the one co-ordinating it.

Thus the competition will be run exactly how any other event is run, if people wanted we could also make it into a AWS and have antlog ect.

The only thing i need to ask someone for is an arena, but bar that there should be plenty of tables ect.

Ill start talking to the management of the Uni for the event regarding this then, ill update here when i have more details - could i also confirm with someone if you want to make it an AWS?
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

If it goes ahead there is a chance I'll be able to make it since it's only 15 minutes from my parents.

I'll have to build some new ants now
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
coolspeedbot

Post by coolspeedbot »

The travel distance wins it for me.
James Booth
Team Coolspeedbot

Antweights:
Killer-Wolf (2.0), Bunny-Ears (1.5), Blue-Terror (CAD).
Featherweights:
CSB 1 (retired) CSB 2 (under construction).
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Since everyones replies seems to be positive so far, ive emailed the organising body at the University with the details for whats needed.

Hopefully in a week or 2 ill be able to give confirmed details and we can go from there :)
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

I'd happily bring Phantom Fox along if I'm available on the day :)
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Its along way but if I can get there I will
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P